Call for Papers for a KOF Workshop on
The Euro Area at 20: Evaluating the Real Side of the Economic and Monetary Union
Organisers: Nauro F. Campos and Jan-Egbert Sturm
to be held on 11 – 12 November 2019 at KOF, ETH Zurich, Switzerland
Since its launch 1999, the single currency has been the subject of continuous scrutiny. As the single currency turns twenty, multiple conferences are taking stock and most of these take a monetary perspective. This workshop offers a fresh and original look at the 20th anniversary of the euro by focusing on its real aspects instead. We will take stock of how the euro area performed in real terms. We are looking for both theoretical and empirical contributions on a wide range of topics having the formation and the development of the euro area as a common theme. Contributions combining rigorous research with policy messages are particularly welcome. Full papers are welcome on the following non- exclusive list of topics:
- Convergence and the single currency
- Core and periphery in the euro area
- Architecture and development of the euro area
- Single currency and productivity growth
- FDI and the euro
- Trade in goods and services and the single currency
- Structural reforms before and after the single currency
- Labour market institutions, technology and the common currency
- Single currency, high-tech and digitalisation
- Investment and R&D before and after the euro crisis
- Inequality and the euro
- The political support for the Euro
The papers selected for presentation at this workshop will be considered for a special issue of the Journal of International Money and Finance.
- Lucrezia Reichlin, London Business School
- Barry Eichengreen, University of California at Berkeley
- Nauro F. Campos, Brunel University London and KOF ETH Zurich (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Jan-Egbert Sturm, KOF ETH Zurich (email@example.com)
Please submit papers by sending an email containing your name, your affiliation and a pdf version of the paper as attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for submissions is 24 August 2019 at midnight CET.
Authors of papers that are accepted for presentation at the workshop will be notified mid-September 2019.