The Barcelona Graduate School of Economics is holding an intensive course on the Competitive Effects of Mergers from November 7-9, 2018.
This three-day course will provide participants with a thorough understanding of the crucial role of competition enforcement in merger control by looking at established and new economic theories on mergers, the relevant empirical methods, as well as providing insightful discussions on recent high-profile merger cases in Europe and the US.
The course aims to provide participants with the following key benefits:
- Understand the role of economics in the area of merger control
- The importance of interaction among theory, empirical methods, and practice
- Insights on the main theories of harm applicable to merger control
- Identification of the main empirical methods to be used in casework
- The importance of efficiency defenses, and how to assess them
- How to think of effective remedies to redress possible competitive harm
- Exposure to world-renowned economic experts in the field of merger control
The course will be taught by leading academic and professional economists, with lectures being held by:
- Massimo Motta (Professor of Economics, ICREA-UPF and Barcelona GSE; former Chief Competition Economist, European Commission), course director
- Giulio Federico (Head of Unit, Chief Economist Team, DG Competition, European Commission)
- Natalia Fabra (Professor of Economics, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid)
- Aviv Nevo (G. A. Weiss and L. Bravo Weiss Professor of Economics and Marketing, University of Pennsylvania; former Chief Economist, Antitrust Division, U.S. Department of Justice)
- Elena Zoido (Senior Vice President, CompassLexecon)
An Early Bird discount will be offered to participants confirming before October 8. A discounted course fee is also available to regulators, competition authorities, academics and Barcelona GSE alumni. Application deadline is October 31.
Certificate of Attendance
Regular fees: 1100 - 2800 EUR
International Fees : 1100 - 2800 EUR
An Early Bird discount will be offered to participants confirming before October 8.
Ramon Trias Fargas 25-27, 08005 Barcelona
Barcelona , Spain