United Nations University
For the past four decades, UNU has been a go-to think tank for impartial research on the pressing global problems of human survival, conflict prevention, development, and welfare. With more than 400 researchers in 13 countries, UNU’s work spans the full breadth of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals, generating policy-relevant knowledge to effect positive global change. UNU maintains more than 200 collaborations with UN agencies and leading universities and research institutions across the globe.
About the United Nations University Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability (UNU-IAS)
UNU-IAS is a UNU institute based at the UNU Headquarters in Tokyo. The mission of UNU-IAS is to serve the international community through policy relevant research and capacity development focused on sustainability, including its social, economic and environmental dimensions. UNU-IAS builds on the strong tradition of UNU’s research and capacity development in Japan, undertaken in collaboration with a global network of professionals and scholars, particularly in Africa and Asia. For more information please visit http://ias.unu.edu
The incumbent will report to Academic Programme Officer and support the financial and administrative management of an international research project and external funds. These include a new international research project on water reuse starting in April 2020, and smaller scale research projects and scholarships.
The responsibilities will include:
- administrative and budgetary management for the assigned projects and funding in full compliance with UN Financial Rules and Regulations, UNU procedures and the policies of UNU; tasks include travel arrangement, purchases and payment, bill settlement, sub-contract management, and internal budgetary reporting
- communication with (international) partner universities and coordination pertaining to administrative and budgetary issues
- secretarial tasks as requested by the Academic Programme Officer, including the coordination of meetings and appointments
- any other tasks as requested by the supervisor
Required qualifications and experience
- a bachelor’s degree in international relations, accounting, business, social science, or a related field
- a minimum of 2 years practical experience in administrative, accounting, or secretarial work; work experience in academic or research institutions a plus
- fluency in English and Japanese, both oral and written
- ability and willingness to work in a team, in a multicultural setting
UNU is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities to apply and become part of the organisation.
UNU has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNU, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
This is employment under a Personnel Service Agreement contract (PSA). Starting remuneration will be from JPY 315,083 to 348,083 per month, commensurate with previous experience and expertise. There are no other fringe benefits.
This position carries an annual leave entitlement of 2.5 working days per month (a total of 30 days of paid annual leave).
Duration of contract
This is full-time employment. The period of initial appointment will be for one (1) year, with the possibility of renewal subject to satisfactory work performance, with the combined duration of appointments not exceeding six (6) years.
This is a locally recruited post; no relocation expenses or allowances apply. The successful candidate will be employed under a local contract and will neither hold international civil servant status nor be a “staff member” as defined in the United Nations Staff Rules and Regulations. UNU does not sponsor a working visa for this position.
Interested applicants should submit the following materials by email (email@example.com), and must include the following:
- a cover letter setting out how the applicant’s qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position
- a curriculum vitae
- a completed and signed UNU Personal History (P.11) form; please avoid using similar forms provided by other United Nations organisations
- a brief CV in Japanese
- an indication of the reference number of the vacancy announcement (2020/UNU/IAS/PSA/AA/10)
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please note that applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
Fax: +81 3 3499 2828
Designed and Developed