• Advises in the preparation of the Programme of Work and Budget (PWB) in consultation with relevant technical officers and the HQ technical divisions; prepares and consolidates work plans; proposes revised plans and strategic measures to implement successfully the biennial programme of work and monitor effectively budgetary trends;
• Prepares periodic budget reports for submission; prepares post planning and monitoring and other regular and ad hoc reports;
• Contributes to the development of results-based management concepts and policies and monitoring and reporting procedures;
• Develops, implements and monitors corporate activities, identifies operational, administrative, information technology and other constraints and proposes solutions to improve quality, timeliness and cost effectiveness;
• Overviews the maintenance of imprest accounts and other budgetary reports; acts as Certifying Officer, monitors availability of funds under all programmes; ensures that financial commitments and expenditures are accurate and consistent with established guidelines;
• Trains and supervises staff and field project personnel on all administrative and operational matters and undertakes special missions for training on budgetary, financial and managerial issues in line with the Organization's regulations policies and procedures;
• Establishes effective working relationships with Government counterparts at appropriate level for Government Contributions to the work programme;
• Oversees operational and staffing requirements of the Office and its projects, and ensures optimal staffing of the office and projects;
• Participates in review meetings to assess managerial and operational capacities, scrutinize reliability and solvency of selected implementing partners;
• Assesses training needs and encourages training events as well as other human resources-related activities;
• Optimizes the management of Office's premises, the allocation of space and the provision of services for the renovation and the maintenance of premises and be responsible for security for MOSS compliance;
• Establishes and maintains partnership with HQ units, interacts with Internal and External Auditors and prepares replies to audit observations and queries;
• Organizes and participates in meetings, workshops, celebrations and other events;
• Advises the Sub Regional Coordinator in the general administration and smooth functioning of the Sub Regional Office as well the management and administration of programmes, projects, staff, premises, including finance and procurement, with an emphasis on the effective planning and utilization of human and financial resources
• Ensures the correct interpretation and implementation of financial and administrative rules and procedures of the Organization.
• Oversees, detects and helps to manage and prevent administrative and financial risks.
• Ensures that procedures for purchasing goods and services are implemented and authorized according to the rules and procedures (Best value for money) and that the importation and clearance of goods and equipment comply with relevant regulations.
• Ensures the maintenance of a reliable IT infrastructure;
• In liaison with the regional office and headquarters, supports change management initiatives to modernize and innovate existing systems and business processes, so that they are quicker, more efficient, and more responsive to the evolving demands of member countries, including support to relevant UN Reform processes.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in business or public administration, accounting or a related field;
• Seven years of relevant experience in financial management, administration and planning
• Working knowledge (Level C) of English and Spanish.
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions, is desirable.
• Extent and relevance of experience in financial management, administration and planning, knowledge and application of rules, regulations and procedures, and demonstrated ability to plan, organize, and develop effective and efficient work practices, following sound management principles and a client service orientation, as well as to plan, organize and supervise the work of others ;
• Extent and relevance of experience in organizing programme proposals and budgets and monitor programme implementation
• Initiative, maturity, responsibility, judgement and demonstrated ability to enhance, modernize and innovate business processes and support change management initiatives, while ensuring positive working relationships with nationally and culturally diverse complex teams.
• computer literacy, including knowledge of computerized accounting systems used in complex international organizations is essential. Experience in using innovative technologies, approaches and tools in managing teams, business process, and in managing for results is an asset, as is prior knowledge and experience with UN systems and databases, accounting and financial modules, and corporate applications.
• Extent and relevance of experience in risk management is desirable
• Extent and relevance of knowledge of United Nations rules and operational procedures and the UN reform process is desirable.