Hiring restraint in effect
The University of Calgary has implemented a hiring restraint. As a result, job opportunities are currently limited. All available opportunities with UCalgary are posted here on our careers website.
Job ID: 20843
The Admissions Office within Student and Enrolment Services is currently seeking a Full-time Regular Applications Assistant.
Reporting to the Application Services Manager, this position provides prospective students, applicants, and newly admitted students with accurate information and guidance regarding admission policies and procedures.
Student Advising and Customer Service
- Maintain an in-depth and up-to-date knowledge of calendar admission criteria and degree program requirements as well as selection criteria for all programs
- Provide accurate information to students and stakeholders with tact and discretion, taking into consideration individual circumstances and ensuring compliance with privacy laws; frontline communication through email, phones and in-person support
- Assist students with the completion of their online applications through the Alberta Postsecondary Application Service (APAS), including the process to obtain an Alberta Student Number (ASN)
- Attend activities and events to support undergraduate recruitment and conversion
Support Admissions Process
- Match and update receipt and status of transcripts and other documents on the PeopleSoft system, identifying those application files which are ready for an evaluation
- Enter course and grade data from transcripts onto PeopleSoft
- Enter test result information (English Language tests, SATs, ACTs, AP, WAEC, GCE, etc.) and update applications accordingly
- Maintenance of exchange, student researcher, visiting student researcher and dual credit applications and admissions when no evaluation is required
- Scan and index documents into the appropriate student file
- Monitor and direct correspondence (hard copy, departmental email boxes) to appropriate staff
- Respond to general inquiries
- Place hold on accounts for late/missing transcripts/documents
Manage Printing of Offers and Denial Hard-copy Letters
- Initiate and oversee the large volume printing and electronic imaging of various admission letters and mailing labels to students; manually edit information, if required
- Review error lists and remediate as appropriate
- Establish a schedule that ensures timely printing of all letter types
- Collate and package information for mail outs to students
- Troubleshoot printer problems
- Act as a resource to other units within the Office of the Registrar, Faculties and campus service units
Qualifications / Requirements:
- Minimum 1 year experience working in an Office Environment; University Context is preferred
- Minimum 1 year experience working with sensitive documents
- Experience completing data entry accurately
- Demonstrated understanding of University of Calgary policies and procedures pertaining to admission and registration into degree programs
- Fluency in English
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, email and internet applications
- Familiarity and/or ability to learn and effectively and efficiently use university business systems such as the Student Administration and Communication Generation modules of PeopleSoft and an electronic document management system such as Synergize
- Ability to work in a confidential setting and demonstrate good judgment in dealing with sensitive and confidential situations
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, high pressure, team-based environment with an ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to embrace change in a dynamic environment
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Must have ability to work independently and as part of a team, be pro-active and self-directed
- Must be organized, conscientious and possess a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Enjoy working with students
- Able to perform moderate physical activity
Application Deadline: July 14, 2020
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
This position is part of the AUPE bargaining unit, and falls under the Operational/Administrative Job Family, Phase 2.
To find out more about management and staff opportunities at the University of Calgary and all we have to offer, view our Management and Staff Careers website.
About the University of Calgary
The University of Calgary is Canada’s leading next-generation university – a living, growing and youthful institution that embraces change and opportunity with a can-do attitude. Located in the nation’s most enterprising city, the university is making tremendous progress on its Eyes High journey to be recognized as one of Canada’s top five research universities, grounded in innovative learning and teaching and fully integrated with the community it both serves and leads. The University of Calgary inspires and supports discovery, creativity and innovation across all disciplines. For more information, visit ucalgary.ca.
The University of Calgary recognizes that a diverse staff/faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research experiences of the entire campus and greater community. We are committed to removing barriers that have been historically encountered by some people in our society. We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our diversity and will support their professional success while they are here. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply, however preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.