Other jobs, researcher / analyst
The British Antarctic Survey (BAS), part of the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC), aims to undertake a world-class programme of scientific research, and to sustain for the UK an active and influential regional presence and a leadership role in Antarctic affairs.
We are looking to appoint an Assistant Management Accountant to
- Deliver effective and efficient financial support, analysis, reporting, initiatives and specialised services to BAS Operations and Engineering staff.
- Work closely with colleagues in NERC Swindon and other Research centres, Audit and Shared Service Centre UKSBS to shape financial strategy.
• Delivery of effective and efficient financial support, analysis and reporting, with a focus
on the BAS Operations and Engineering community
• Capital/Asset Management
Training toward AAT level 4, or part qualified CCAB or equivalent accountant.
• Review and distribute regular management accounts to Operations and Engineering
and Corporate services cost centres
• Conduct regular meeting with budget holders to review spending and provide
support to budget holders as needed (e.g. re-allocation of costs, historical spend
• Support Management Accountant and Finance Business Partner in preparing robust
forecasts and making strategic level decisions
• Monthly journals and reconciliation between capital and related resource
• Provide active support to the Management Accountant on routine and adhoc tasks
• Close liaison with Management Accountant and other members of the Finance team
to help to meet team deadlines
• Assist in the implementation of relevant Financial Policy
• Contribute to the planning and delivery of financial training to non-finance staff
• Project Set up, reconciliation and reporting
• Fixed asset creation and asset tag distribution
• Asset Verification and Validation
• Reconciliation of Capital clearing account
• Support interim and yearend audit work related to Operations and Engineering and
• Liaise with Shared Service Centre UK SBS to resolve queries
• Any other duties as required by the Director and Head of Finance
Please quote reference: BAS 20/38
Closing date for receipt of application forms: 1st March 2020
Interviews are scheduled to be held: Wednesday 11th March 2020
BAS is an Equal Opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion and promoting equality in careers in science, we hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and have an active Equality, Diversity and Inclusion programme of activity. We welcome applications from all sections of the community. People from ethnic minorities and disabled people are currently under-represented and their applications are particularly welcome. We operate a guaranteed interview scheme for disabled candidates who meet the minimum criteria for the job. We are open to a range of flexible working options, including job sharing, to support childcare and other caring responsibilities.