Assistant Professor in Economics

Attendance

On-Site

Posted on

Application Deadline

Type

Assistant professor / lecturer

The Department of Economics at the Umeå School of Business, Economics and Statistics (USBE), Sweden, is looking for an Assistant Professor (biträdande lektor) in Economics.

The Department of Economics at Umeå School of Business, Economics and Statistics (USBE) has about 25 employees and conducts research in a variety of areas. The predominant research areas at the unit are currently public and environmental economics. Other active research areas include industrial organization, welfare economics, behavioral economics, labor economics, economics of education, health economics and econometrics. USBE and the department of Economics are also the host department of an interdisciplinary research centre focused on environmental and natural resource economics, CERE (www.cere.se). 

Read more about USBE here: https://www.umu.se/en/usbe/  

The Economics department at USBE here: https://www.umu.se/en/usbe/about-us/economics/

 

Assistant professor (biträdande lektor) in economics is a tenure-track position including research and teaching in order to be tested for promotion to associate professor (universitetslektor). The position entails both scientific and pedagogical qualifications. The position is limited to four years where at least 60% of the time should be focused on scientific merit and the remaining up to 40% towards pedagogical qualifications and the development of subject competence to such an extent that the competence requirements for employment as associate professor can be achieved. The person is expected to conduct independent, high-quality research and contribute to the unit's research environment by applying and obtaining external research funding and developing research collaborations both within and outside the unit.

The research conducted is expected to be within economics and to consider the USBE overall strategy, vision, and mission. The USBE strategy states, among other things, that learning about and for sustainable development is integrated into education and is supported by research and collaboration related to sustainable development. Based on environmental, social, and economic sustainability, USBE works on the basis of the 17 sustainable development goals developed by the UN. The person employed as assistant professor is expected to take this into account in his or her work and research.

The work includes teaching at undergraduate and advanced level in economics, as well as planning of teaching, course administration and other pedagogical qualifications such as higher education pedagogical courses. In some cases, teaching may take place in digital forms. The applicant is expected to have competence for teaching in several areas of economics such as microeconomics, macroeconomics, and methodological courses. Thesis supervision can also be part of the tasks. The USBE overall goal for education is to offer a learning environment that stimulates analytical, critical, and independent thinking to prepare students to meet and manage societal challenges. The courses are characterized by student-centred learning based on national goals in higher education and the mission of the USBE. The USBE strives to design courses that encourage student responsibility and an active role in the learning process, stimulate curiosity and innovation skills, and provide an opportunity for reflection and a critical approach. The applicant is also expected to participate in other departmental work.

Requirements
A person who holds a doctorate in economics, or has equivalent scientific/academic competence in economics, shall be qualified to be employed as an assistant professor. Priority should be given candidates who have completed their doctoral degree, or equivalent scientific competence, no more than five years before the deadline of the application as an assistant professor (chapter 4, section 4, Higher education ordinance).

 

More Information

Posted on

Application Deadline

Type

Assistant professor / lecturer

Ume%C3%A5%20universitet%2C%20Ume%C3%A5%2C%20Sweden

Umeå universitet

90187 Umeå , Sweden