Assistant professor / lecturer
Job Number: UOL04546
The Faculty of Law, Economics, and Finance (FDEF) of the University of Luxembourg has an opening for an Assistant Professor (Tenure Track) in Business Administration with a specialization in Managerial Accounting or Business Taxation. (Subject to approval by the Board of Governors).
The University is looking for an Assistant Professor (Tenure Track) in Business Administration with a specialization in Managerial Accounting or business taxation who will conduct impactful research leading to publication in premier business journals. The selected candidate will deliver strong teaching and student experience in business education, and engage with Industry. Although the selected candidate will have a specialization in management or tax accounting, candidates should have a background sufficient to teach a variety of undergraduate foundational business courses.
The selected candidate will take part in the education activities of the Faculty, providing reliable, high-quality teaching capacity at the Bachelor, Master and PhD levels. Regarding the teaching portfolio, a breadth of business knowledge is preferred as the Business Administration group is small and the teaching needs in the existing programmes are diverse. Teaching introductory and advanced courses in the Business Administration programmes will thus require flexibility and the ability to cover potentially diverse areas of business education, particularly regarding foundations of management in undergraduate core courses.
The selected candidate will be a junior scholar with strong research and teaching ambitions and potential. With an ability to perform and administer high quality scientific research leading to top-publications, the selected candidate will create increased research expertise, international visibility and joint publication opportunities for the department of economics and management.
The selected candidate will also be willing to work collaboratively with both internal and external stakeholders. It is expected that the candidate is willing to acquire external funding from diverse sources and ready to reach out and actively engage with other research institutions and the industry to establish research co-operations in Luxembourg and beyond.
- PhD degree in Business Administration, Managerial Accounting, or Business Taxation
- A research focus and agenda on managerial or tax accounting, with evidence of a potential to publish in international, high-ranked business journals
- Established communication and teaching skills, with a commitment to the importance of scholarship, high-quality education and cultural diversity
- First experience in working in international research teams (e.g., acquired during post-doctoral employment)
- Ability to work collaboratively with both internal and external stakeholders, actively engage with Industry and the community, acquire funding and develop externally funded research programmes, collaborate with regulatory agencies and standard setters
- The University of Luxembourg is located within a particularly rich multicultural environment. The selected candidate must master English language as well as one of the two official languages spoken in Luxembourg: French or German. The University staff is strongly encouraged to learn the other official language by giving free access to language course to reach this goal. A candidate in the domain of business taxation and normative accounting has to provide evidence of proficiency in French at the CEFR level C1 (advanced)
- Contract Type: 5 years (tenure track) - with perspective of a permanent position and promotion to Associate Professor upon a positive evaluation
- Work Hours: Full Time 40.0 Hours per Week
- Location: Kirchberg
- Earliest starting date: September 1, 2022
- Job Reference: UOL04546 - F2-50012567 (to be mentioned in all correspondence)
In particular, we offer:
- An international team at a young, dynamic University
- An interdisciplinary research environment
- A wide network of academic, institutional and corporate partners
- Skilled support staff and team-oriented work environment
- Competitive salary and benefits
How to apply...
Applications should contain:
- Cover letter
- Detailed CV, including periods of absence from work (or where the effect has been equivalent to absence) including family-related leave and career breaks
- Complete list of publications and work in progress
- List and short description of research projects acquired over the past 5 (five) years
- List of PhD theses supervised
- List of teaching activities over the past 5 (five) years
- Statement of research activities planned at UL
- Statement of teaching activities planned at UL
- Statement of other activities considered at UL
- Names of 3 referees and the relationship to them
All applications should be addressed to:
Professor Katalin Ligeti / Dean of the Faculty of Law, Economics and Finance
We ensure a full consideration for applications received by 15/12/2021.
All applications will be handled in strict confidence.
The University of Luxembourg wants to achieve gender parity in its academic positions and wants to eliminate obstacles to the recruitment of female professors and to their career development. In case candidates present equivalent CVs, the University will give the preference to women in all departments where gender parity is not yet achieved.
The University of Luxembourg is an equal opportunity employer.
The University of Luxembourg is an international research university with a distinctly multilingual and interdisciplinary character. The University was founded in 2003 and counts more than 6,700 students and more than 2,000 employees from around the world. The University’s faculties and interdisciplinary centres focus on research in the areas of Computer Science and ICT Security, Materials Science, European and International Law, Finance and Financial Innovation, Education, Contemporary and Digital History. In addition, the University focuses on cross-disciplinary research in the areas of Data Modelling and Simulation as well as Health and System Biomedicine. Times Higher Education ranks the University of Luxembourg #3 worldwide for its “international outlook,” #20 in the Young University Ranking 2021 and among the top 250 universities worldwide.
The Faculty of Law, Economics and Finance offers three Bachelor programmes, four Master programmes of Management and Economics and six Masters of Laws (LL.M.), as well as several continuing education courses. It also includes the Doctoral School in Law and the Doctoral School in Economics and Finance. Around 2,500 students from 90 different nationalities are enrolled at the Faculty. Academic staff from 18 different nationalities teach at the Faculty, supported by practitioners from the field, visiting scholars and guest professors. Rooted in Luxembourg but with a European and international outlook, the Faculty counts three departments:
- Department of Law
- Department of Economics and Management
- Department of Finance
Teaching and research benefit from the proximity of the European institutions, Luxembourg’s world-class financial centre ranked second in the world in investment fund asset domicile, and its vibrant business community. Institutional and private sector partnerships, sponsored Chairs, and a growing network of international partner universities make the FDEF a vibrant academic hub within the University at the heart of Europe.
Luxembourg is a cosmopolitan country with the convenience of a larger European capitals in a tranquil setting. Additional information about Luxembourg can be found under www.euraxess.lu and www.luxembourg.lu. Luxembourg’s financial centre is the largest investment fund captive reinsurance centre in Europe and the largest private banking centre in the Eurozone. The financial sector is a major employer in Luxembourg and accounts for over 30% of the country’s GDP. There are private international schools in English and other European schools offering diverse languages (e.g. French, German, Italian, Spanish, etc.) as well as English branches in a growing number of state/public schools.
Assistant professor / lecturer
Job Number: UOL04546