Assistant professor / lecturer
ASSOCIATE PROFESSORS IN MATHEMATICAL ECONOMICS AT THE DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICAL SCIENCES (2022-224-04710)
At the Faculty of Engineering and Science, Department of Mathematical Sciences, positions as associate professors in mathematical economics are open for appointment starting from March 1, 2023. The positions will be located at the campus of Aalborg University in Aalborg. The Department of Mathematical Sciences conducts research in a wide range of mathematical disciplines and has three study programmes: mathematics (including a specialization in statistics at the master level), mathematical economics, and mathematics-technology. The department offers an international and informal working environment. The department is proud of its long tradition for good social relations and collaboration among colleagues. Employees at the department have great opportunities to shape the direction of their professional activities. For more information about the department, please see Department of Mathematical Sciences (aau.dk)
As associate professor you will contribute to:
- Methodological research in mathematical economics. Expertise in one or more of the following areas is an advantage but not a prerequisite:
- quantitative finance
- operations research
- computational economics
- Cross-disciplinary collaborative research with an applied and/or strategic perspective.
- Teaching in the mathematics programmes (which comprise mathematics/statistics, mathematical economics, and mathematics-technology) as well as teaching mathematics and statistics at the study programmes in Engineering and Social Sciences. Aalborg University has three campuses (in Esbjerg, Copenhagen and Aalborg) and teaching can be at all campuses. The majority of the teaching tasks are in Danish and the selected applicant is expected to put an effort into learning Danish.
- Funding and external collaboration.The selected applicant must engage in acquiring external funding for research. This will involve collaboration with colleagues from the Department of Mathematical Sciences and from other departments at Aalborg University. This includes funding for methodological research, as well as funding for more applied and strategic research activities.
The requirements for the position as associate professor are:
- A PhD degree in mathematical economics.
- An excellent publication record in mathematical economics.
- Documented teaching experience.
- Experience with attracting external funding.
The ability to contribute to the development of external collaboration and to secure external funding will be considered, and the applicant is expected to have excellent interpersonal skills. Special contributions to the development of educational and teaching related activities will be considered in the overall assessment.
Salary and benefits
Please contact International Staff Unit https://www.isu.aau.dk/ for information regarding salary and taxes. The successful candidate will be offered courses in Danish if needed. The Department of Mathematics offers excellent infrastructure in terms of office space and IT.
Working and living in Aalborg and Denmark
The city of Aalborg is lively with a wide variety of music and cultural events, top notch restaurants, fresh air and easy access to natural parks, forests, and great beaches. Aalborg Airport is well connected with the major hubs of Copenhagen Airport and Schiphol.
As employee at Aalborg University you obtain health insurance as a resident of Denmark. This also includes family members officially residing in Denmark.
Further information may be obtained from head of section of statistics and mathematical economics Rasmus Waagepetersen, +45 9940 8856, firstname.lastname@example.org, or head of department Søren Højsgaard, phone: +45 9940 8801, email@example.com.
The level of qualification for Associate Professors shall correspond to the level, which can be achieved on the basis of the appointment as Assistant Professor, but may be achievable in other ways. The appointment presupposes that the applicant can demonstrate original scientific production at an international level as well as documented teaching qualifications. Appointment to the position requires that both research and teaching qualifications are at the requested level. The two qualifications will be given equal and principal priority in the overall assessment.
The application must contain the following:
- A motivated text wherein the reasons for applying, qualifications in relation to the position, and intentions and visions for the position are stated.
- A current curriculum vitae.
- Copies of relevant diplomas (Master of Science and PhD). On request you could be asked for an official English translation.
- Scientific qualifications. A complete list of publications must be attached with an indication of the works the applicant wishes to be considered. You may attach up to 10 publications.
- Teaching qualifications described in the teaching portfolio. If this is not enclosed the applicant must include an explanation for its absence.
- Dissemination qualifications, including participation on committees or boards, participation in organisations and the like.
- Additional qualifications in relation to the position.
- Personal data.
The applications are only to be submitted online.
Shortlisting will be applied. After the review of any objections regarding the assessment committee, the head of department, with assistance from the chair of the assessment committee, selects the candidates to be assessed. All applicants will be informed as to whether they will advance to assessment or not.
AAU wishes to reflect the diversity of society and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background or belief.
For further information concerning the application procedure please contact Mathilde Vestergaard HR-Servicecenter EST by mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information regarding guidelines, ministerial circular in force, teaching portfolio and procedures can be seen here
Employment is in accordance with the Ministerial Order on the Appointment of Academic Staff at Universities (the Appointment Order) and the Ministry of Finance's current Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities. Employment and salary are in accordance with the collective agreement for state-employed academics.