Researcher / analyst
The Milken Institute is a nonprofit, nonpartisan think tank. For the past three decades, the Milken Institute has served as a catalyst for practical, scalable solutions to global challenges by connecting vital human, financial, and educational resources to those who need them. Guided by a conviction that the best ideas, under-resourced, cannot succeed, we conduct research and analysis and convene top experts, innovators and influencers from different backgrounds and competing viewpoints. We leverage this expertise and insight to construct programs and policy initiatives.
These activities are designed to help people build meaningful lives, in which they can experience health and well-being, pursue effective education and gainful employment, and access the resources required to create ever-expanding opportunities for themselves and their broader communities.
About the position
The Milken Institute’s Center for Regional Economics (CRE) is looking for a Senior Policy Analyst with specific experience in regional economic development including workforce development, public-private partnerships, and economic development financing models. We primarily focus on high-tech and creative industries that drive innovation and job creation with a particular focus on the future of work, smart city development, and regional competitiveness. CRE leverages our California headquarters through extensive statewide research and programming to incubate new regional business and policy solutions.
The Senior Policy Analyst will work collaboratively with the entire CRE team to provide research and policy support for reports, events, and programming – including the annual Milken Institute Global Conference – that advance actionable economic and policy solutions for local, statewide, and regional leaders. The role is an outstanding opportunity to hone one’s skills and contribute to a body of work that shapes the conversation and influences key decision-makers from the public, private, and nonprofit sectors.
- Write white papers, policy briefs, and collaborate on larger research outputs related to regional development
- Research and analyze relevant policy, legislation, and data
- Summarize background research and prepare landscape overviews
- Build and maintain relationships with relevant stakeholders from business, government, and nonprofit sectors
- Prepare and deliver presentations
- Manage CRE projects and engagements with internal and external stakeholders
- Ad hoc support for broader CRE and Milken Institute events and programming
- Master’s degree in public policy, macroeconomics (regional economics), or a related field required; or Ph.D. + 1 - 2 years relevant work experience
- Minimum 5 years experience conducting research, data, and policy analysis
- Experience managing projects
- An understanding of regional economic development including issues and stakeholders
- Strong, clear, and concise writer a must
- PowerPoint and advanced Excel a must
- Proactive with a flexible attitude
- Ability to work as part of a team and perform under a deadline
Note: Temporarily, due to COVID-19 this position is currently working remotely, you will be expected to physically be in one of our office locations September 7, 2021 the date of return to the office is subject to federal and local state guidelines. In addition, you will be required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas at this time. Being authorized to work in the U.S. is a precondition of employment.
With our offices in Santa Monica, Washington DC, and New York City, MI is proud to employ incredible people across the country. Right now, we are eligible to hire in CA, CT, DC, MA, MD, MO, NJ, NY, OR, and VA. Any candidate must reside in one of these jurisdictions prior to onboarding.
The statements herein are intended to describe the over-all nature and level of work being performed by employees and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
Please submit a cover letter and resume - all application materials should be attached as PDF files. If applying via Indeed, please upload your resume and any supporting documentation as one attachment. Any application that does not include both a cover letter and a resume saved as PDFs will be rejected.