Mid-level industry position
Let’s change the world together!
USC is a leading private research university located in Los Angeles – a global center for arts, technology and international business. As the city’s largest private employer, responsible for more than $8 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic schools and units. As a USC employee, you will enjoy excellent benefits and perks, and you will be a member of the Trojan Family - the faculty, staff, students and alumni who make USC a great place to work. Think you’ve got what it takes to join us? We invite you to search our open positions and apply!
Collector IIApplyStudent Financial ServicesLos Angeles, California
The University of Southern California (USC) Finance Division – Financial & Business Services is seeking an adaptable, customer service-oriented Collector II to join its Student Financial Services team.
At USC Financial and Business Services, our promise is to provide exceptional customer service. Learn more about USC Financial and Business Services at: https://fbs.usc.edu
About the Opportunity:
The Collector II is accountable for collecting delinquent student debts such as student loans. Assists students with resolution of financial problems. Performs specialized review, research and problem solving in support of student collection function.
Candidates for the position of Collector II must meet the following criteria:
- High school graduate or equivalent; Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- 2 years of previous collection or accounts receivable experience in an educational institution, collection agency, financial institution or credit card agency.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing with customers.
- Contacts student debtors with delinquent accounts by telephone or in writing and records the results.
- Counsels walk-in student debtors regarding payment of debt and lifting holds on accounts. Negotiates special payment plans or renegotiates existing payment plans when warranted. Monitors accounts to ensure compliance with payment schedules.
- Responds to incoming inquiries or requests by telephone or standard or electronic mail from students or other authorized parties regarding student account information.
- Initiates skip tracing efforts on debtors through credit reporting agencies, other university departments, search sites on the internet or through proprietary software.
- Conducts detailed research to investigate origin of debts and account discrepancies. Retrieves dated files, researches records of prior information systems and utilizes knowledge of past procedures to recreate account histories. Assists other collectors with research and reconciliation efforts.
- Recommends uncollectable accounts to supervisor for review and assignment to outside collection agencies. Maintains copies of required documentation and updates system.
- Contacts other university departments to obtain or provide pertinent information and to adjust accounts or have other action taken.
- Waives late fees and finance charges if justified based on investigation and analysis. Ensures waivers are in compliance with predetermined departmental
- Ensures file documentation is proper and in compliance with internal and external regulations. Reviews documentation and reconciles to data in automated systems prior to disbursement. Inputs updates and corrections to systems, e.g. changes in demographic information.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested. The university reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
The USC Finance Division – Business Services values Accountability, Teamwork, Open Communication, Integrity, and Opportunities for Growth & Professional Development. Join us – apply today!
Minimum Education: High school or equivalent Minimum Experience: 2 years Minimum Field of Expertise: Previous collection or accounts receivable experience in an educational institution, collection agency, financial institution or credit card agency. Ability to communicate orally and in writing with customers.
REQ20090442 Posted Date: 07/06/2020Apply
With just one click and a connection to LinkedIn, we can connect you with jobs that match your work experience.
- BillerLos Angeles, CaliforniaREQ20085018
Stay connected to USC
USC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law or USC policy. USC will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring ordinance (PDF)opens in a new window. We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should contact USC Human Resources by phone at (213) 821-8100, or by email at email@example.com. Inquiries will be treated as confidential to the extent permitted by law.