Researcher / analyst
ELİG Gürkaynak Attorneys-at-Law is a tier one independent Turkish law firm consisting of seven partners, five counsel and 90 lawyers supporting a range of international and domestic clients. We also work with various highly respected international law firms.
Among the many fields of law ELİG Gürkaynak has a distinguished reputation in, our law firm is particularly prominent in the competition law practice in Turkey with more than 40 of our 100 lawyers working exclusively on competition law matters, alongside an in-house competition economics unit.
To strengthen our competition economics team, ELİG Gürkaynak is recruiting an economist who will reside in Ankara and report directly to our senior competition economist.
- Prepare economic analyses for competition law cases, and mergers and acquisitions.
- Provide consultancy advice to ELİG Gürkaynak’s competition law team to support the legal opinions submitted on behalf of clients to the Turkish Competition Authority and courts.
- Conduct high-level economic research across a broad range of industries.
- Develop economic models to respond to critical business questions.
- Perform economic analyses on complex real-life issues.
- Prepare research reports for ELİG Gürkaynak’s competition law teams and clients.
- Author research papers on competition and regulation policy matters.
- Collaborate with in-house lawyers and external consultants.
The competition economist will also assist the senior competition economist with regards to the following:
- Design the most appropriate economic research to be conducted in a particular competition law case.
- Prepare data request for the relevant economic research.
- Organize and present data collected for the purposes of the relevant research in a clear and concise format.
- Define the relevant market using standard techniques in the antitrust literature.
- Assess the market power of firms in the relevant market and when required whether the behavior of these firms is abusive with regards to competition law.
- Evaluate how consumer welfare is affected by the behavior of the firms in the relevant market.
- Predict the price and welfare effects of mergers and acquisitions.
- Develop economic arguments in the analysis of alleged concerted practices among firms in the market.
- Interpret the outcomes of the economic analyses prepared by competition authorities or other parties.
- Prepare summaries of academic papers in the relevant literature.
Competencies and Attributes:
- At minimum a master’s degree in economics with a specialization in applied or theoretical industrial organization or in antitrust economics.
- Basic knowledge of competition law.
- Ideally the candidate will have a minimum of two years professional experience at an economic consultancy firm, a research institution, a competition authority or regulatory agency.
- Proficiency in econometric modeling and statistical analyses in Stata.
- Experience in mathematical programming packages such as Matlab or Mathematica.
- Ability to think creatively to solve complex problems.
- A track record of publishing in academic journals.
- Ability to work under strict deadlines.
- Adept at communicating economic outputs to non-economists.
- An excellent command of both Turkish and English with outstanding oral and written skills.
Please send your resume, cover letter and one of your research papers to firstname.lastname@example.org with the reference Ref-Economist.