Executive / senior industry position
Boston Scientific, a $10B+ Fortune 500 Company, is dedicated to transforming lives through innovative medical solutions that improve the health of patients around the world. Our work is guided by core values that define the Boston Scientific culture and empower our employees.
Boston Scientific is bringing shared value to customers, employees, communities and shareholders. We have the
privilege and responsibility to use our expertise and resources to help advance science, improve patient health, enrich communities and create a working environment that promotes healthy and engaged employees.
The Tax Function:
- Combining Purpose and Passion - We’re fueled by innovation – and that doesn’t stop with our R&D team. We encourage our people to fulfill their true creative potential by speaking up with their ideas and solutions to problems that matter. That means promoting a culture where people are ready to take measured risks and are unafraid to learn from failure. Our success allows additional company resources to be invested in innovative medial solutions.
- Opportunities to Grow – Thrive in a culture that prioritizes learning, development and progression. We have a strong track record of mentoring and developing our tax team, positioning individuals for a broad range of internal opportunities. And our company continues to grow through acquisitions, providing challenging and complex experiences.
- Rewards – Enjoy a workplace that recognizes success and rewards performance. We offer summer hours and provide opportunities for flexible-work arrangements. Our state-of-the-art corporate office has amenities including an on-site day care with discounted tuition rates, a fitness center, outdoor athletic fields, access to 12.5-mile multi-use trail, and for Boston commuters, a free luxury commuter shuttle bus with Wi-Fi and TV! Benefits include a 6% 401K match with immediate vesting.
- Recognized as a Great Place to Work – We are proud to be recognized for our workplace culture and our contributions to communities around the world. A sample from just 2018 includes: Forbes Most Innovative Companies; Forbes list of Best Employers for Women; Forbes list of Best Employers for Diversity; FORTUNE World’s Most Admired Companies; Glassdoor Employees' Choice Best Places to Work; Working Mother "100 Best Companies"; Fatherly Top 50 Places to Work for New Dads; Newsweek’s Top Green Companies.
Responsible for compliance with all domestic (federal, state & local) direct and indirect corporate tax laws and ensures that all tax reporting requirements are met in a timely and accurate manner. Monitors and analyzes proposed and newly enacted tax legislation, regulations, court cases, etc., to ensure that adequate procedures are in place to accurately report corporate taxes. Reasonably interprets tax laws and regulations with a focus on minimizing Boston Scientific's tax liability. Performance directly impacts BSC’s ability to avoid tax authority adjustments, interest and associated penalties. Shares knowledge and collaborates across the tax organization in support of our common goals.
Key responsibilities include:
- Ensures compliance with all domestic (federal, state & local) direct and indirect tax laws and ensures that all tax reporting requirements are met in a timely and accurate manner. Responsibilities include but are not limited to: corporate income taxes, federal excise taxes, sales & use taxes, and property taxes. Ensures that inter-company transfer prices are appropriately established and documented.
- Oversees the creation and retention of working papers, studies and other documentation to ensure proper determination and reporting of taxes in each jurisdiction as well as to facilitate tax authority examination and avoid penalties.
- Evaluates all tax reporting options available to the company (such as tax accounting methods, elections and other claimed positions) to minimize the company’s taxes. Ensures that all claimed positions have the requisite level of authority and communicates risks associated with uncertain positions.
- Monitors and analyzes proposed and newly enacted tax legislation, regulations, rulings, court cases, etc. ensuring that adequate procedures are in place to accurately report corporate taxes. Communicates material impacts of new requirements to senior management. Advocates for the company with legislative and administrative authorities by recommending improvements in tax laws and regulations and in their administration.
- Selects and implements information systems that improve the quality, accuracy and efficiency of tax reporting. Continuously strives to improve tax reporting processes. Develops plans for integrating acquired companies into our tax reporting systems.
- Keeps the organization's vision and values at the forefront of decision making and action.
- Communicates effectively at all levels driving organizational alignment with overall vision, direction, objectives and strategies.
- Builds strategic partnerships to further departmental and organizational objectives. Interacts internally and externally with executive level management, outside regulatory agencies, customers, vendors and/or suppliers.
- Creates an entrepreneurial environment and demonstrates effective change leadership.
- Attracts and retains critical talent and enables a high-performance culture.
- Fosters a diverse workplace that enables all participants to contribute to their full potential in pursuit of organizational objectives.
- Provides general direction to managers, exempt specialists and non-exempt support in various areas, groups and/or operations.
- 10+ years relevant tax experience (in public accounting or industry)
- Demonstrated managerial experience supervising teams of 5 or more people
- Excellent coaching, personnel development and leadership skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability drive effective organizational change in a global organization.
- 5+ years tax experience within med-tech industry
- Broad exposure international tax issues including transfer pricing
- Demonstrated experience supervising multiple independent teams