The European Commission's Directorate for Sustainable Resources (Joint Research Centre) is looking for 1 Economic Modeller in the field of Agriculture and Food Security to join its Unit "Economics of Agriculture" based in Seville, Spain.
As the science and knowledge service of the European Commission, the mission of DG Joint Research Centre (JRC) is to support EU policies with independent evidence throughout the whole policy cycle. The JRC is located in 5 Member States (Belgium, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands and Spain). Further information is available at: http://www.jrc.ec.europa.eu
The Unit "Economics of Agriculture" assesses, through macro and micro socio-economic analyses, the development of the Agro Food sector and related sectors including rural development, food security, trade and technological innovation in the EU and globally but also with special emphasis on Africa.
The Unit is looking for 1 experienced researcher to:
- contribute to the maintenance of a single-country Computable General Equilibrium model based in GAMS to analyse African economies;
- further develop of the model, including writing programming code, data analysis;
- conduct economic analyses, including preparation and presentation of reports, summaries of results for policy makers and academic papers;
- contribute to the cooperation with policy services and development of the international network of cooperation of JRC.
Candidates must hold a doctoral degree or having a minimum of 5 years research experience after the first university degree giving access to doctoral studies in a field relevant to the position.
He/she should have
- an advanced knowledge and experience in quantitative methods/tools for economic assessment, particularly large scale models for agriculture, ideally CGE;
- specific knowledge of GAMS programming languages;
- a good understanding of development economics topics;
- a very good level of written and spoken English (level C1) is essential. Knowledge of more EU languages is indeed a supplementary asset.
Indicative duration: 36-month initial contract with possible renewals up to maximum 6 years.
Location: Seville, Spain.
Rules & Eligibility
The candidate must be on a valid EPSO reserve list for Function Group IV contract staff or have applied to the permanent open call for researchers FG IV:
Auxiliary contract staff: https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/en/working-with-us/jobs/temporary-positions/contract-staff-members
Note that due to the high number of applications usually received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 13/01/2019 23:59 Brussels time.
Post reference: 2018-SVQ-D4-FGIV-010874
Researcher / analyst
Sevilla , Spain