Mid-level industry position
Bechtel National, Inc. (BNI), Bechtel’s government services business, is one of the top providers to departments and agencies of the U.S. and British governments. Its successes include many large, first-of-a-kind projects in government site management, environmental restoration, defense, space, energy, and national and homeland security. This position will provide support to the Uranium Processing Facility (UPF) located at the Y-12 National Security Complex in Oak Ridge, Tennessee.
UPF will be built by 2025 for $6.5 billion and will be a first-of-its-kind complex for enriched uranium operations in support of Y-12 missions. UPF is one of the Department of Energy’s largest investments in Tennessee since the Manhattan Project and one of the National Nuclear Security Administration’s largest construction projects. When complete, UPF will: replace a 70-year-old facility with modern buildings, reduce operational costs and energy consumption, improve worker safety, and provide enriched uranium capabilities well into the future.
The UPF Project has multiple work schedules that are subject to change and may require employees to work overtime and/or nightshift when a business need arises. The core construction working hours are between 7:00 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Work schedule and overtime are to be approved in advance by supervisors.
Eligibility for this position requires US citizenship; successful candidate must provide proof of US citizenship in order to obtain badge access to the site. Candidate must complete security questionnaire and successfully clear site access requirements check. All employees are subject and agree to random drug and alcohol testing as a condition of employment. Must be able to obtain a security clearance, as applicable.
The expeditor position performs expediting activities on the UPF Project in compliance with Project Procurement and Expediting Procedures. Ensures the timely delivery of approvals, materials, and equipment to meet the project needs. Manage complex packages while maintaining our security procedures. Manage AEX assignments and perform supplier visits as needed.
- Analyze supplier schedules and report any gaps in meeting the required delivery dates.
- Review and provide recommendations to streamline processes for continuous improvement.
- Review the issued purchase order / subcontract to understand the requirements in order to support the project requirements.
- Participate in weekly 3 week look ahead scheduling meetings and provide updates.
- Expedite internal engineering for the timely review and return of approval documents / data submitted by suppliers.
- Contact / Expedite suppliers to obtain the timely submission of engineering data, follow up on material acquisitions, production schedules, and shipments.
- Host regular scheduled meetings with engineering and suppliers to review and discuss potential problem areas that may impact required shipment dates.
- Update Bechtel Procurement System (BPS) and Supplier Performance Database in a timely manner ensuring the information is accurate.
- Coordinate with individuals across many departments, i.e. but not limited to Engineering, Procurement, Construction, Supplier Quality, Project Controls, Traffic Logistics, and Document Management Control to ensure the purchase order / sub-contract are progressing to support job site requirements.
- Ability to supervise direct reports and manage the assigned workload.
- Evaluates production schedules and progress reports from suppliers to determine if their programs and work-in-progress are on track to support job site requirements.
- Obtains copies of supplier’s orders for material, performs sub-supplier expediting, where necessary, and works closely with Supplier Quality Representative to ensure awareness of materials subject to quality performance and their locations of manufacture.
- Reviews Area Expeditor reports for content, completeness, and appropriateness prior to distribution to the project team. Takes corrective action on problems identified in the AEXs report.
- Maintain a working file of expediting related documents and memoranda of conversations to record expediting activities. Maintains a system to initiate follow-up actions at appropriate times. Provides information for area expediting assignments as necessary.
- Assist in resolutions to UOS&Ds (missing materials, damages, shortages, etc.).
- Coordinate shipping arrangements or tracking requests with the project traffic representative.
- Obtain required information from shipping companies in a timely manner and coordinate with T&L and site security for driver’s acceptance on site.
- Build effective working relationships and interact with suppliers and other project departments.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Supply Chain, or a related subject and 6 years of progressive related experience, or in lieu of degree, 12 years of progressive related experience.
- Relevant experience includes, but is not limited to Procurement, preferably in an EPC environment.
- Must be a US citizen.
- Must be able to complete and pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check which includes verification of employment and education.
- Must be able to obtain a site security badge for access to the work site.
- Working knowledge of the Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR) and experience in implementing FAR and applicable Agency Supplements as required by the prime contract.
- Skilled in working with and communicating effectively both orally and in writing with other project functional groups, suppliers, and government officials.
- Demonstrates proficiency in the formation and administration of purchase orders and subcontracts.
- Basic Understanding of Government Contracts and flow down of applicable clauses and requirements.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, Access, and PowerPoint.
- Working knowledge and understanding of scheduling activities during design and fabrication stages.
- Prior experience working on a Federal Government project and knowledge of the Federal Acquisition Regulations.
- Experience working on an engineering, procurement, and construction project.