Amazing student experiences, state-of-the-art facilities, and opportunities to make your place in the world.UPEI continues to excel in student enrolment, research, and faculty awards.Faculty Relations, Equity and Diversity Officer - Offices of The Vice President, Academic and Research and The Vice President, Administration and FinanceCompetition Number:Position:Contract:
Commensurate with qualifications and experience
The Faculty Relations, Equity & Diversity Officer (the “Officer”) is responsible for advancing equity, diversity and inclusion within the University community and supporting the strategic direction with respect to Faculty Relations. The Officer will report directly to the Vice President, Academic and Research and the Vice President, Administration and Finance.
The Officer will provide leadership in areas of equity, diversity, inclusion and human rights, including the development and implementation of policies, programs and practices. This position provides expertise, guidance, advice and counsel to members of the University community. The Officer will alsoprovide support to the office of the Vice-President Academic and Research in the administration of the faculty collective agreements. This includes interpretation, application and administration of all activities relating to the collective agreements.
Equity & Diversity
- Consults with senior leadership, administration, faculty and staff, and otherrelevantstakeholders to assemble comprehensive baseline information on current research, recruitment, education, training and other initiatives related to equity, diversity and inclusion at the University
- Creates and leads a sustainable, innovative and evidence based strategy on equity, diversity, inclusion and human rights for the University
- Identifies needs, analyzes trends and issues, and conducts gap analyses based on information obtained, identifying patterns and systemic issues
- Conducts detailed review of existing, proposed and suggested initiatives and programs to ensure alignment with core values and optimal use of resources in planning and prepares recommendations for improvements in executing equity, diversity and inclusion related work
- Designs and leads initiatives regarding equity, diversity, inclusion and human rights, including the development and delivery of professional development training opportunities in the areas of equity, diversity, inclusion and human rights
- Develops and delivers policies in consultation with relevant stakeholders, providing leadership and oversight to ensure that the university meets its obligations, meets best practices and ensures compliance with policies and legislation in relation to equity, diversity, inclusion and human rights
- Collaborates with and provides assistance to supervisors to support innovative strategies to successfully recruit, employ and retain a workforce reflective of changing demographics
- Works with search committees to deliver appropriate equity and diversity training and support throughout the hiring process
- Other duties as assigned
- Monitors compliance with the faculty collective agreements
- Advises and provides support on the faculty recruitment, selection guidelines and recruitment processes to ensure compliance and accurate documentation, including best practice for candidate screening, interview process and competition documentation to ensure compliance with the collective agreement, employment/immigration requirements and Board of Governors requirements
- Assists with and provides support for the faculty grievance process
- Prepares the collection, maintenance and reporting of data with respect to faculty, including the maintenance of sessional seniority
- Coordinates and administers all aspects of faculty hiring, including drafting all correspondence with respect to faculty employment (including letters of offer, leaves, tenure, promotion, sabbatical, resignation, retirement) for tenure track, term appointments and sessional contracts
- Coordinates the annual sabbatical application process
- Processes and maintains documentation related to immigration status and eligibility to work in Canada
- Coordinates all aspects of the University Review Committee with respect to tenure and promotion review, including monitoring of tenure eligibility and deferrals. Tracks all faculty related leaves, reduced appointments or special assignments
- Law degree would be an asset
- CPHR designation would be considered an asset
- Certification and training in Alternative Dispute Resolution and direct and relevant experience in organizational conflict management would be considered an asset
- A minimum of five years’ experience in areas related to diversity, equity, inclusion and human resources. Experience in post-secondary institutions is preferable
- Experience in the design and delivery of educational programs in the areas of diversity, equity, inclusion and human rights
- Working knowledge of collective agreements, relevant legislation, regulations and policies
- Experience in facilitating conflict resolution through counsel, coaching and mediation. Demonstrated judgement, analysis and decision-making skills
- Ability to research, identify and implement best practices with respect to equity, diversity and inclusion
- Outstanding interpersonal and communications skills
- Demonstrated ability to build rapport with various stakeholders, motivate people and diffuse escalating situations
- Demonstrated ability to exercise discretion regarding confidential matters
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.
UPEI encourages all qualified applicants to apply for job openings; however, in keeping with the terms and provisions of the university’s various employment and collective agreements, first priority will be given to internal candidates.
550 University Ave, Charlottetown 1-800-606-UPEI or 902-628-4353