Phd candidate, researcher / analyst
The International School of Economics at Tbilisi State University (ISET, www.iset.ge) in Tbilisi, Georgia seeks to make one or more appointments at the ISET Policy Institute (www.iset-pi.ge), a leading economic policy think tank in the South Caucasus.
Ideal candidates will have a PhD from a reputable international university and record of minimum 2 years in policy research/consulting in at least one of the relevant fields. Exceptional candidates without PhD but with an advanced degree and at least 10 years of experience in at least one of the two fields will also be considered.
Lead Economists, other fields
The Lead Economist position is also open to candidates with education and experience in other fields relevant for economic development, such as agriculture, migration, rural development, industrial policy, trade and regional integration, macroeconomic and financial policy, labour markets and social inclusion.
• Base annual salary: 25 000-30 000 USD NET;
• An attractive variable performance bonus capped at 43 000 USD NET;
• Additional compensation up to 12 000 USD NET for the performance of academic duties*;
Major duties are to:
• Lead and manage a team of researchers and external consultants;
• Develop project proposals/grant applications;
• Liaise with potential clients and donors, including government;
• Implement applied policy research and consulting projects;
• Provide research-based policy advice, write on policy issues, and participate in public policy discussions.
* Depending on the candidates’ qualifications, experience and interest, positions can be designed to also include academic responsibilities, such as to:
• Teach courses in ISET’s MA and BA programs;
• Conduct research;
• Supervise student theses;
• Design, manage and teach non-degree courses and programs.
These will be fixed-term, renewable appointments with rank and salary commensurate with the candidates’ experience. Preference is for full-time appointments. Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of Georgian and/or Russian languages will be considered an advantage. Positions are subject to available funding and will be open until filled. Send letter of interest, CV, professional writing samples (papers, consulting reports, blog articles, etc.) and three references to: vacancy@ISET.ge with “Lead Economist” in the subject.
Selected candidates will be invited to present a policy presentation to the ISET-PI community as part of the selection process.
Candidates should note that the first round of selection process closes on February 28, 2020. The second round starts on March 1, 2020, and will be closed on May 30, 2020.
About ISET and the ISET Policy Institute:
ISET is an autonomous school of economics founded at Tbilisi State University in 2006 by International Institutions, bilateral donors and government. Operating in English, it is designed to prepare students from the South Caucuses region for top further education programs in the West, as well as corporate and public-service jobs in their home countries.
The affiliated ISET Policy Institute (ISET-PI) complements ISET’s educational mission by conducting policy research and training, providing research-based policy advice, and contributing to the public policy discussion in Georgia and the South Caucasus.
Both ISET and ISET-PI benefit from on-going commitments from senior international scholars and has strong financial backing from international organizations and corporations.