Executive / senior industry position
Job Title: Head of Account Management, Motorsport
Function: Motorsport Business Line
Reporting to: Director, Motorsport
Date of preparation: March 2021
The world around us is experiencing significant change, the greatest in generations.
At McLaren Applied, we’re accelerating the response to that change. Our vision is that our people and technologies will pioneer a better future. Our mission is to achieve breakthroughs in performance.
We’re at the cutting edge of innovation in industries including automotive transportation and motorsport. We create solutions that drive efficiency and cost-effectiveness.
We want to help to reduce the carbon footprint and become more sustainable. Our focus is on electrification and telemetry, control and analytics.
To deliver efficient lightweight electric powertrain and vehicle development; motorsport solutions that make series more sustainable and efficient; reliable connectivity solutions for transportation and insightful analytics and monitoring of transport fleets.
By applying our expertise, we deliver real benefits and pioneer a better future.
Purpose of the Role
Through strong knowledge of the external environment, customers and competitors, the role captures market requirements and defines opportunity for market segment, creating and delivering against product road maps that give scalable, profitable and sustainable revenue. This function is the primary Customer and Market business interface for the Motorsport Market. This includes responsibility for market positioning, market share, pipeline and decision wins. The function has full responsibility for the successful delivery of the market segments annual and long term financial and strategic goals, including contribution to sector line P&L.
In dealing with Key Clients (major customers, distributors and governing bodies) the function bears a strong operational focus, covering the interface between customers and engineering for major programs as well as forecasting, planning and controlling of catalogue product deliveries. Apart from superior technology and benchmark quality flexibility in our deliveries sits at the heart of our operations.
Important skills for this role are leadership, interpersonal skills and technical/commercial acumen. On an ongoing basis this leader is accountable for all communication with customers, channel partners, agents, sales managers, suppliers, strategic partners, senior management and internal peer groups to optimally define and integrate the voice of our customers and market dynamics into McLaren Applied’s commercialisation and marketing plans, to meet or exceed the market segments overall financial and strategic goals.
Support the Motorsport Business inputs to the McLaren Applied Strategic Plan. Helping inform upon and relying on trends and market analysis to include roadmaps to deliver a well-informed strategic road map and quantified growth plan for the Motorsport market that ensures current and future customer and market needs are met.
- Full end-to-end responsibility for the successful delivery of customer programmes
- Continuous forecasting, planning and controlling of catalogue sales products
- Identify gaps in sales coverage and proactively cover where priority is clear. Own/oversee contract negotiation where required.
- Identifying areas for operational improvements
- Working closely with all members of the Business Development group to support them through market intelligence analysis and action plan (stock management, sales pipeline, interface to manufacturing and operations, pricing, customer service, credit, tender management, bid reviews…)
- Liaise with Track-support, customer support and development teams to design support processes, service deliveries to improve customer experience
- Accountable for the overall end-to-end customer experience
Full responsibility for the successful delivery of technical, financial and growth goals. Formulate, deploy and oversee the pricing and channel policies to ensure maximum and sustained value attainment. Responsibilities include:
- Identifying and justifying new platform, product and market opportunities to enhance the near-term and long-term competitiveness of the business line roadmap and translate for Product Management
- Continuously monitoring and analysing competitor activities within the market and our customers. Develop and maintain up to date knowledge of the relevant markets.
- Understand and interpret market requirements / trends and provide clear direction for the company.
- Providing market intelligence and clearly defined customer needs to the Product Management teams to support the associated Product Line strategies and roadmaps.
- Responsible for Market Requirement Documents and its interaction with PRD and product capabilities.
- Deploying Value Based Pricing methodologies and optimized channel policies to ensure maximum and sustained revenues and profits.
- Defining technical and commercial critical success factors to assure customer commitments that support global growth.
- Leading and securing major contract processes and negotiations
- Monitor and review progress of design-wins from prospect through to production, holding regular reviews of opportunities with the relevant sales team
- Where necessary act as Trusted Advisor to client/partner.
Develop segment product and marketing strategies to increase market share in existing markets and identify and develop new markets.
- Identifying and engaging credible commercial partners Globally who will enable our Go To Market strategy as sales channel partners.
- Develop, Manage and Own, key commercial relationships with Motorsport Governing bodies, and Series organisers at senior level to help ensure strategic, sustainable revenue and profitability growth for McLaren Applied.
- Introduce product marketing and sales programs to deliver top line sales objectives.
- Regularly review customer forecast and revenue projections against plan.
- Support the development of customer pursuit plans and the deployment of, in some cases taking the commercial lead where required.
Ensure coordination of marketing strategies, policies and practices with other market segment leaders, product line management and sales organisations. Responsibilities include:
- Supporting the necessary arbitration and alignment of product features and costs with the Product Line Management organisation.
- Working closely with the sales leadership, ensure that the sales function is provided with the necessary information and tools to penetrate potential tier 1 customers, giving them the know-how and industry background to be credible in front of the customer.
- Provide longer term market trends and customer unmet needs to support aligned technology roadmaps that will result in a pipeline of product proceeding technologies.
Ensure McLaren is recognised both internally and externally as world-class experts within their specialism. Drive McLaren Applied’s reputation as an innovator and technology leader in the Motorsport market.
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications and Experience
- Extensive Experience in Key Account Management in disruptive technology environments.
- Strong technical background. Engineering or Science Degree desirable
- Technical marketing experience gained in Motorsport
- Extensive experience with technology in Motorsport products
- Extensive customer facing experience in sales or product capacity.
- Demonstrated track record of defining differentiated technical offerings aligned with the customers strategy or problems faced.
- Demonstrated ability to consult with customers, close business wins and deliver targeted solutions.
- Strong presentation skills
- Effective and proven interpersonal skills
- Experience in project/programme management, order fulfilment and manufacturing
Values and Behaviours
You will be a key representative of McLaren Technology Group’s Values and Behaviours, the framework of which can be found here.
All employees must ensure compliance with the Company Health and Safety Policy, and all relevant other statutory Health and Safety legislation.
This job description may not detail all duties allocated to the post holder, nor cover duties of a similar nature which are commensurate with the role, which may from time to time be reasonably required by the relevant manager.
We believe in diversity and equal opportunities. Our people are our core strength and as such we create an environment that is all encompassing and inclusive.
Be proud. Be yourself!
Executive / senior industry position
Chertsey Rd, Woking GU21 4YH, UK
Woking , United Kingdom