The Thünen Institute of Market Analysis of the Johann Heinrich von Thünen-Institute, Federal Research Institute for Rural Areas, Forestry and Fisheries, invites applications for a
PhD Candidate (f/m/d) -- Impacts of Changing Food Patterns on German Agriculture
It is a full-time position within the project ‘Impacts of changing food patterns on German agriculture’. The position is to be filled as soon as possible and is limited to 4 years. The employment is designed to develop own scientific qualifications. The own scientific results achieved in the project can be used for the PhD thesis. In this context, the Thünen Institute of Market Analysis cooperates with various universities. The temporal contract-limitation is based on § 2 (1) S. 1 Wissenschaftszeitvertragsgesetz.
Global food patterns are changing. While in many developed countries food trends (e.g. flexitarism, vegetarianism, veganism) are leading to stagnation or slight declines in the consumption of animal products, income and population growth in many developing and emerging countries are generating increased demand for meat and dairy products. Extensive impact assessments of these changing eating habits on German agriculture form the core of the research project.
- Evaluation and processing of national and international statistics
- Performing model-based economic simulations and analyses with the CGE model MAGNET
- Creation and evaluation of long-term model-based projections
- Impact assessment of changing food patterns on German agriculture
- Cooperation with international organisations, research institutions and companies
- Publishing scientific articles in academic journals
- University degree (M.Sc.) in agricultural sciences with a focus on agricultural economics, economics or similar subjects
- Qualified experience with empirical methods and good knowledge of programming (e.g. with GAMS, GEMPACK, Stata or R)
- Knowledge of the agricultural and food markets and nutrition physiology is an advantage
- Ability to analyse complex economic issues
- Analytical thinking, goal-oriented working style, critical judgement
- Aptitude for team-oriented and independent working methods, ability to cooperate
- Interest in scientific questions and willingness to receive a PhD
- Candidates should be fluent in English (written and spoken), German language skills are desirable
We offer work in an active and stimulating scientific environment on questions of high relevance at the intersection between basic and applied life sciences and agriculture. The project promotes the collaboration and interaction with experts from national and international research organisations. The Thünen Institute offers a family-friendly environment, flexible working hours and the possibility for further training and qualification.
The employment relationship is governed by the provisions of the Wage Agreement for Public Services (TVöD-Bund) and includes comprehensive health, social, and pension insurances. The salary is according to category 13 TVöD. Part-time employment is generally possible.
The Thünen Institute promotes equality between women and men in the workplace and therefore, expressly welcomes applications from women.
Severely handicapped people with the same qualification are given special consideration; only a minimum of physical aptitude is expected from them.
Please contact Dr. Florian Freund (E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org) for enquiries about the position.
Please send your application by 25.10.2019 preferably electronically as a single pdf document by using the keyword "Ernährungsgewohnheiten" to the following address
Thünen Institute for Market Analysis
Dir. and Prof. Dr. Martin Banse
Informations about Artikel 13 DSGVO: www.thuenen.de/datenschutzhinweis-bewerbungen.