The Postdoctoral Associate will assist in the quantitative analysis of datasets from several surveys of consumers and aquaculture producers. Consumer segmentation analysis will be used to identify targeted demographic groups for existing sectors of U.S. aquaculture (including catfish, trout, and oysters) as well as emerging sectors, such as marine finfish.
In addition, the post-doc will assist with determination of most effective food delivery and advertising options for U.S. aquaculture as the economy recovers from the COVID-19 public health emergency. In addition, the position will assist in the development and dissemination of outreach products and deliverables for stakeholders and project sponsor. This is a two-year funded position, with the possibility of extension contingent upon additional future funding.
• Doctoral degree in agricultural or applied economics or related field awarded no more than four years prior to the effective date of the appointment with a minimum of one year eligibility remaining.
• Demonstrated experience with data collection through surveys or focus groups.
• Demonstrated experience with econometric analysis of primary data.
• Must already be able to work legally in the US (project timeline mandates immediate start).
• Demonstrated knowledge and research experience in fisheries or aquaculture.
• Demonstrated knowledge or experience of seafood supply chains.
• Demonstrated knowledge or experience of analytical methods such as efficiency analysis and economic impact estimation.
• Familiarity with U.S. aquaculture regulations.
• Experience using analytical software packages (Stata, R, SAS, or similar).
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
VA 24061 Blacksburg , United States