Partially Remote (some attendance required)
Executive / senior industry position
The American Institute for Economic Research (AIER) Board of Trustees seeks a principled and visionary President to lead the organization’s staff and stakeholders in achieving its strategic objectives. The President will ensure that AIER continues to advance its mission to educate Americans on the value of personal freedom, free enterprise, property rights, limited government, and sound money.
The President can be based out of the main campus or have a hybrid position of both on-site and remote work.
Founded: 1933 E.C. Harwood
Location: Great Barrington, MA
Mission: Non-partisan research and educational nonprofit dedicated to developing and promoting the ideas of pure freedom and private governance by combining advanced economic research with accessible media outreach and educational programming to cultivate a better, broader understanding of the fundamental principles that enable peace and prosperity around the world.
Vision: AIER envisions a world in which societies are organized according to the principles of pure freedom—in which the role of government is sharply confined to the provision of public goods and individuals can flourish within a truly free market and a free society.
Number of Employees: 31
Governance Structure: Board of Trustees
Annual Operating Budget: $10,000,000
- Individual Freedom
- Limited Government
- Sound Money
- Free Markets
- Thought Leader
- Self-Motivated and Disciplined
- PhD or MA in Economics, Politics, or related field
- 10+ years professional experience with 5+ years executive or senior managerial experience
- Proven track record of leadership and managerial success
- Long-term strategic planning, program development, and metric/analysis experience
- Fundraising experience
- Stature in economic/free market/think tank space through research, leadership, or advocacy
- Superior written and verbal communication
- Strong ability to be media spokesperson/inspirational standard-bearer
THE ROLE OF THE PRESIDENT & AIER 2021 AND BEYOND:
The President serves as the principal executive and administrative officer, overseeing the entire organization. The President focuses largely on the development of strategy and programs, while being an influential public spokesperson for the organization who can travel about 25% of the time. This internal and external facing position requires someone who has a strong vision, is adept at leading and managing, and already has familiarity with or reputation in the nonprofit, free market space.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Strategic Planning—working with the board and staff to develop and oversee AIER’s strategic vision and goals in order to further advance the mission and help AIER realize its vision. The President will maintain a strategic plan to grow AIER’s programs and public influence, while furthering excellent and leading research.
- Financial Performance—overseeing fiscal integrity, managing and operating within approved budgets, and supporting fundraising strategy through oversight and strong donor relations. The President will oversee AIER’s increasing fundraising revenue and determine the use of funds as AIER continues to grow and expand.
- Administration and Operations—ensuring legal and ethical compliance, establishing and maintaining employment and administrative policies and procedures overall and for the day-to-day operations of a nonprofit, and attracting and retaining talented staff while fostering a healthy and positive workplace culture.
- Board Governance—leading AIER as defined in its mission statement and statement of principles, and communicating effectively with the Board, providing regular and timely reports to keep the board informed of AIER’s developments.
AIER is at an important juncture. After nearly 90 years—and a truly breakout year in 2020—AIER is positioned to dramatically increase its operations and influence. Now is the opportune time for a visionary leader to make crucial long-term strategic decisions that possibly include:
- Identifying opportunities to grow AIER’s programs and influence;
- Determining key markets—nationally and internationally—for growth and increasing AIER’s influence;
- Partnering with other leading organizations to advance economic and personal freedom; and
- Stewarding AIER's resources to plan for significant growth and increased impact.
AIER is poised for a new president to address these strategic questions and take the organization into the next stage of its growth as it approaches its 90-year anniversary and looks ahead to its centennial in 2033.
AIER was founded in the aftermath of the Great Depression to inquire into the wide range of economic, social, and monetary developments that had contributed to the catastrophic economic contraction of the early 20th century. The hope was that by further developing and applying modern scientific methods of inquiry, results could be obtained that would be useful to the country in avoiding a repetition of the disaster.
Today, AIER is a leading research organization, covering the spectrum from high-level economic research to widely accessible articles discussing economic and political liberty. AIER researchers publish numerous books each year, as well as peer-reviewed articles and countless media appearances. AIER also hosts training programs for high-school teachers, along with graduate colloquia and post-doctoral fellowships hosted at their beautiful Cotswold Cottage and office in Great Barrington, Massachusetts. AIER has several projects that range from fostering economic freedom in communities around the world to promoting awareness about monetary stability and financial privacy to supporting high-school teachers with curriculum to educate students about economics.
AIER advocates for personal freedom, free enterprise, property rights, and sound money, and is committed to advancing peace, prosperity, and human progress. AIER believes that the most successful economic order to date has been that based on individual sovereignty and advocates for limited government and a society based on property rights.
Questions? Contact Nicole Rizkallah at email@example.com
Executive / senior industry position
250 Division St
MA 01230 Great Barrington , United States