The position is within economics.
Örebro University School of Business has a long tradition of research and education in economics, statistics and informatics. It is host to a number of established research environments with externally funded research projects. Training in economics is offered on professional degree programmes with the possibility to be awarded degrees on the Bachelor’s, Master’s and doctoral levels. Research in economics is conducted in a joint research environment with the statistics department. The research environment as well as teaching within economics have seen substantial growth over the last few years, in terms of both extent and quality. The holder of this position is expected to take a leading role in this work, through own research; through the development of collaboration schemes with external stakeholders and researchers within and outside of the post holder’s own research environment; through external financing efforts; as well as through the support to and supervision of doctoral students.
Duties and responsibilities
Duties include own research and teaching at the undergraduate, Master’s and doctoral levels. As professor of the subject, you will have a particular responsibility for leading and developing the department’s research operations generally, but also specifically within those research fields that have been prioritised within the subject. You will also have a particular responsibility for actively contributing to securing external funding for research and doctoral education. We would like to see candidates with a readiness for responsibility and involvement and, as a result of their broad academic competence, the ability to play a pivotal and leading role for the scientific cooperation and development within the division. Due to the nature of the duties and responsibilities, high presence in the workplace is important.
Those qualified for the appointment as professor are applicants who have demonstrated research as well as educational expertise within the field, which to a substantial degree exceed the qualifications required for appointment as a docent. Further eligibility requirements for the position are completed courses on teaching and learning in higher education corresponding to 10 weeks, as well as completed courses on supervising doctoral students. It is however possible to disregard these requirements if the University deems there are special grounds.
The assessment criteria for appointment as a professor shall be the degree of the expertise required to qualify for employment. As much attention shall be given to the assessment of educational expertise as to the assessment of research expertise.
The educational expertise shall have been documented in a teaching portfolio in accordance with the university’s instructions and shall be considered based on the following criteria:
- ability to plan, initiate, lead and develop teaching at different levels, using varying teaching methods,
- ability to structure and organise large volumes of knowledge in courses and their own teaching,
- ability to impart enthusiasm for and interest in the subject,
- ability to activate students and their own learning,
- ability to connect their teaching and its content to the research pursued in the subject in question,
- ability to communicate with the students,
- ability to take a reflective approach to their own teaching role, and
- educational development work and/or contributions to teaching material/resources shall be viewed an additional qualification.
Research expertise shall be considered based on the following criteria:
- independent research output in the publication channels most relevant to the subject field (priority is however always given to publication in international peer-reviewed journals),
- substantial research output, in terms of quantity,
- the applicant’s research is of high international quality,
- active and current own research
- proven ability to secure considerable external research grants,
- documented experience from supervision at the doctoral level: the applicant shall have demonstrated experience of successful research supervision, i.e. active supervision of at least one doctoral student until the award of their doctoral degree, and ability to interact and engage within the discipline as well as with other stakeholders in society.
Administrative expertise shall be considered based on the following criteria:
- considerable experience of academic leadership,
- that the applicant demonstrates an ability to interact and cooperate, as well as administrative skills, and particular importance will be attached to a proven ability to lead and initiate research.
The research environment have the need for further competence within public economics and international economics and it is therefore desirable that the post holder is qualified within either of these fields. Research within public economics is particularly geared towards the welfare sector in and outside of municipalities, regions and social security, as well as towards the measuring of wellbeing and/or willingness-to-pay. Research within international economics is a part of the research on “businesses and business conditions” and studies particularly how businesses, their growth and change are affected by globalisation. Within both the public and international economics research fields, there are links to labour market issues. Since the research to a great extent is based on the use and analysis of large microdatabases, not least linked firm- and individual-level data, familiarity with such research is regarded an additional qualification.
As we are striving for gender balance, female applicants will be given preference for the position, should two or more applicants be found to have, in the main, equal qualifications.
The position is a full-time, permanent post and is based in Örebro. The salary depends on the successful candidate’s qualifications and experience. Positions announced at Örebro University are, where appropriate, subject to a trial period.
For more information about the position, contact Professor Lars Hultkrantz,+46 19 30 14 16, firstname.lastname@example.org or Head of School Sven Helin, +46 19 30 33 79,email@example.com.
The application is made online. Click the button “Apply” to begin the application procedure.
For the application to be complete, the following electronic documents must be included:
- Cover letter
- Teaching portfolio (as instructed in Örebro University’s guidelines)
- An account of research qualifications
- Copies of relevant course/degree certificates and references
- Scientific publications for consideration (maximum of 10)
After the application deadline has expired, no supplements can be made electronically. Applicants will at a later stage receive instructions on supplementing their application for the external experts’ review. Such a supplement is however limited to any scientific publications that cannot be attached to the application electronically.
The application deadline is 9 October 2017. We are looking forward to receiving your application!
We decline any contact with advertisers or recruitment agencies in the recruitment process.
As directed by the National Archives of Sweden (Riksarkivet), Örebro University is required to deposit one file copy of the application documents, excluding publications, for a period of two years after the appointment decision has gained legal force.
Faculty / professor
Örebro , Sweden