Researcher / analyst
The GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies / Leibniz-Institut für Globale und Regionale Studien is an independent social science research institute based in Hamburg. It analyses political, social, and economic developments in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East, and links this knowledge to questions of global significance. It combines region-specific analysis with innovative comparative research on accountability and participation, growth and development, peace and security, and power and ideas. The GIGA seeks to appoint a
Large-scale land acquisitions, land use change, and governance
Applications are invited for a full-time position, with an initial contract of 18 months (with a possibility of extension for another 2 years, conditional on funding), starting on 1 September 2019. An earlier start is possible. The position is designed for further professional qualification as defined in § 2 WissZeitVG (Academic Fixed-Term Contract Act). The salary is commensurate with TV-AVH / TVöD EG 13.
The successful candidate will support the work of the Research Programme “Growth and Development” of the GIGA in two projects: First, the candidate is expected to contribute to research under the umbrella of the Land Matrix Initiative. The Land Matrix (www.landmatrix.org) is a global and independent land monitoring initiative that promotes transparency and accountability in decisions over land and investment and has gained a good reputation for being the most extensive database on large-scale land acquisitions. As a partner of the Land Matrix, the GIGA is also engaged in related research activities that, in the next few years, are planned to investigate the impacts of land acquisitions in target countries, including best practices (of investors and target country governments) and risk factors. Second, the candidate is expected to contribute to related work in the context of the Collaborative Research Centre 990 (see http://www.uni-goettingen.de/en/310995.html) where the GIGA is engaged in a project on palm oil certification (http://www.uni-goettingen.de/en/412108.html).
The candidate will
- contribute to the collection, processing, and analysis of data on large-scale land acquisitions (including, but not limited to Indonesia);
- be willing and able to undertake field research in target countries and regions;
- based on these data, conduct original research pertaining to the effects of large-scale land acquisitions and governance implications (including on standards, certification schemes, and the VGGTs, see http://www.fao.org/cfs/home/activities/vggt/en/);
- be an active member of the GIGA, affiliated to one of its Regional Institutes and to the relevant Research Programmes.
- a very good university degree (Master or equivalent) in Economics or Political Science;
- relevant previous research on agriculture, land, and/or governance issues;
- sound quantitative methodological skills;
- highly motivated, flexible, and able to work independently;
- very strong teamwork skills;
- English-language proficiency; knowledge of German is not a prerequisite.
Additional desired qualifications:
- PhD with relevant thematic focus;
- qualitative methods;
- experience with handling household surveys;
- regional expertise and additional language skills relevant to research region(s);
- previous field research experience.
Advanced PhD students are welcome to apply. The GIGA strongly encourages concurrent work on a doctoral degree. The Research Fellow can become a member of the GIGA Doctoral Programme.
Diversity and the reconciliation of work and family life are of great importance to the institute. The GIGA promotes gender equality and actively encourages applications from women. Among equally qualified applicants, women will receive preferential consideration in those areas in which they are underrepresented.
Please fill out the GIGA application form (found at www.giga-hamburg.de/en/vacancies) and send it with your full application (Ref.-No. GIGA-19-09), including relevant supporting documentation (cover letter, CV, references, credentials/diplomas/certificates, and a maximum of two work samples), to:
Gabriele Tetzlaff, GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies,
Neuer Jungfernstieg 21, 20354 Hamburg, Germany
Email: email@example.com (email applications are particularly welcome. Please send all documents combined in one PDF file.)
Screening of applications will begin on July 22, 2019.
For further information, please visit the GIGA homepage (www.giga-hamburg.de) or contact Apl. Prof. Dr. Jann Lay (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: +49 (0)40 - 428 25-763).
Researcher / analyst
Neuer Jungfernstieg 21, 20354 Hamburg
Hamburg , Germany