Senior researcher / group leader
(full-time, Salary Scale E 14 TV-L)
Reference Number 2020/153. The Cluster offers a position for an independent research group leader starting on January 1, 2021 for a duration of up to 5 years. The position includes an additional budget of up to 600.000 Euro for personnel, data collection, field work, travel costs etc.
The University of Konstanz is one of eleven Universities of Excellence in Germany. Since 2007 it has been successful in the German Excellence Initiative and its follow-up programme, the Excellence Strategy.
The Cluster “The Politics of Inequality” involves researchers from political science, sociology, economics, linguistics, psychology, law and education studies. They study how people perceive these inequalities, how they lead to collective mobilization, and how political actors respond to them. The Research Group Leader shall make an important contribution to the research carried out at the Cluster and become an active member of the Cluster community. The project must be connected to at least one of the Cluster’s research areas (perceptions, participation and policies) as well as the empirical domains of inequality (education, employment, political rights as well as newly emerging topics such as environmental and health inequalities). For further information please visit: inequality.uni.kn
- Develop and implement a research project that contributes to the Cluster’s research agenda
- Build up your own research group and support early career researchers
- Establish collaborations with other researchers in the Cluster
- Produce high-quality and internationally visible research
- Excellent PhD in the social sciences
- Significant work experience at the postdoctoral level (typically 2-4 years)
- Early track record of high-quality research publications that go beyond the PhD dissertation
- International orientation in research networks and output
- Ability and willingness to engage in interdisciplinary collaborations
- Keen interest in science communication/open science
- A research position without teaching obligation
- A professional infrastructure and a stimulating workplace for conducting research on inequality
- A generous research budget for personnel and other costs
- A vibrant international and interdisciplinary research environment and community
- The opportunity to benefit from the Clusters’ Methods Hub
Applicants should submit (1) a research proposal describing the planned project (max. 10 pages) and a cost estimate for personnel and other costs, (2) a current CV and a list of publications and (3) two reference letters. Proposal instructions (incl. budget templates, guidance of cost calculation) are provided on the website: https://inequality.uni.kn/about-us/jobs-and-grants/research-group-leader/
The closing date for applications is October 4, 2020. Applications must be submitted via our Online Application Portal. Selected applicants will be invited to present their research proposal in person at the end of October.
Interested candidates may contact the Cluster Speaker Prof. Dr. Marius R. Busemeyer as well as the Managing Director, Jessica Haase for further information.
The University of Konstanz is committed to ensuring an environment that provides equal opportunities and promotes diversity as well as a good balance between university and family life. As an equal opportunity employer, we strive to increase the number of women working in the field advertised (https://www.uni-konstanz.de/en/equalopportunities/equal-opportunity/). Persons with disabilities are explicitly encouraged to apply. They will be given preference if appropriately qualified (contact + 49 7531 88–4016).