Partially Remote (some attendance required)
“Value of Information" is a joint research project within the framework of the cooperation between Bielefeld University and Carl von Ossietzky University of Oldenburg in collaboration with the Helmholtz-Institute for Functional Marine Biodiversity at the University of Oldenburg (HIFMB).
We are looking for a junior researcher (PhD candidate) who is interested in working on the value of information. The research focus of this position is on ecology and nature conservation.
“Value of Information" is a joint research project within the framework of the cooperation between Bielefeld University and Carl von Ossietzky University of Oldenburg in collaboration with the Helmholtz-Institute for Functional Marine Biodiversity at the University of Oldenburg (HIFMB). In their joint research project “Value of Information” (VoI), both parties combine the competencies of Bielefeld University in economics, notably in modelling and data sciences, with the competencies of the University of Oldenburg, specifically those of the Institute for Chemistry and Biology of the Marine Environment (ICBM) and the HIFMB, in the area of ecology, ecosystem management and marine conservation.
The research subject of the VoIproject is modelling and evaluation of (additional) information and its consequences for optimal decision making in the context of ecological-economic problems as well as the quantitative assessment of the value of information in concrete applications of nature conservation and biodiversity. The objective of the project extends from conceptual-analytical considerations on the value of information to its usage for decisions on (additional) data collection so as to allow for more well-grounded decisions in specific ecological applications in the context of nature and resource conservation policies. Following this dual approach, we are looking for a junior researcher (PhD candidate) who is interested in working on the value of information. The research focus of this position is on ecology and nature conservation.
The tasks will be:
- research in the area of “Value of Information” (75 %)
- analysis of the applicability of the VoIconcept on ecological-economic issues and decision problems
- quantitative assessment of the value of (additional) information for specific ecological-economic decision problems
- data analysis as a basis for theoretical modelling, specifically for model and parameter specification
- profitability analysis of data collection: the value and the cost of (additional) data and information collection, when data collection involves significant cost, which frequently happens in case of marine data
- collaboration in research-related organizational tasks, specifically in preparing proposals for third-party funds, and providing administrative support (25 %)
In parallel with this job offer, there is a corresponding one of a position focusing on ecological and preservative aspects of the value of information (see job offer wiss20205).
- university degree (with good success) in a relevant scientific discipline, e. g. in economics, mathematical economics, statistics, ecology, or a comparable degree
- solid knowledge in mathematical modelling, theoretical ecology, methods of ecological management
- dissertation project on the “value of information”
- distinct interest in decision making and optimal management in ecology, nature conservation and biodiversity
- particular interest in scientific research and interest in interdisciplinary collaboration
- excellent command of scientific English, written and oral
- self-dependent and committed working method
- co-operative and team-oriented working method
- experience in model calibration and data processing
- experience in ecological-economic modelling
- willingness to and interest in presenting research results at national and international conferences
Salary will be paid according to Remuneration level 13 of the Wage Agreement for Public Service in the Federal States (TV-L). As stipulated in §2 (1) sentence 1 of the WissZeitVG(fixed-term employment), the contract will end after three years. In accordance with the provisions of the WissZeitVGand the Agreement on Satisfactory Conditions of Employment, the length of contract may differ in individual cases. The employment is designed to encourage further academic qualification. The position is advertised as 65 % part-time job. In individual cases, this percentage may be reduced on request, as long as this does not conflict with official needs.
Bielefeld University is particularly committed to equal opportunities and the career development of its employees. It offers attractive internal and external training and further training programmes. Employees have the opportunity to use a variety of health, counselling, and prevention programmes. Bielefeld University places great importance on a work-family balance for all its employees.
For full consideration, your application should be received via either post (see postal address below) or email (a single PDFdocument) sent to email@example.com by October 15, 2020. Please mark your application with the identification code: wiss20206. Please do not use application portfolios and send only photocopies of original documents because all application materials will be destroyed at the end of the selection procedure.
Further information on Bielefeld University can be found on our homepage at www.uni-bielefeld.de.
Please note that the possibility of privacy breaches and unauthorized access by third parties cannot be excluded when communicating via unencrypted e-mail. Information on the processing of personal data is available https://www.uni-bielefeld.de/Universitaet/Aktuelles/Stellenausschreibungen/2019_DS-Hinweise_englisch.pdf.
Fakultät für Wirtschaftswissenschaften
Herrn Dr. Thorsten Upmann
P.O. Box: 10 01 31
Name: Dr. Thorsten Upmann
Phone: +49 521 106-4862