Mid-level industry position
• Plans and leads components of multi-disciplinary teams and short term work groups, leads and/or participates on Divisional teams, participates on Organization-wide committees, project teams, and working groups and provides specialized expertise on international technical networks and or technical policy and standard setting bodies.
• Supports the integration of gender equality and women's empowerment in FAO's work, including the disaggregation of data by sex and age where appropriate, in accordance with FAO Policy on Gender Equality.
• Develops technical, statistical, analytical, monitoring and reporting frameworks, and related tools, methodologies, systems and databases etc. to support the planning, implementation/delivery and monitoring of the programmes of work, products, projects, and services.
• Designs and conducts research, data collection, validation, analysis and/or reporting activities, from a gender perspective, to support the development of technical standards, international instruments, innovative cross-sector approaches, new tools, technologies, technical reports/publications, and/or policy proposals as well as the provision of technical/policy/ specialist/advice and expertise
• Responds to requests and provides technical/policy advice, assistance and solutions to Regional, Sub-Regional, and Country Offices and provides technical backstopping to field projects.
• Promotes international cooperation and collaboration, advocates best practices and increased policy dialogue and provides technical expertise at international meetings and conferences.
• Collaborates in capacity development activities involving knowledge sharing, the organization of training workshops, seminars, and meetings as well as the development of related materials and on-line tools and information kits.
• Participates in resource mobilization activities in accordance with Corporate strategy and Divisional plans.
• Leads policy analysis around poverty reduction, inclusive rural transformation and gender equity and equality, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of impact evaluation assessment studies;
• Leads preparation of various written outputs, including background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications;
• Provides technical and policy advice and/or support to Government and relevant stakeholders in development and implementation of policies and programmes for poverty reduction, inclusive rural transformation and gender equity and equality.
• Advocates strategic partnerships, best practices, capacity development and policy dialogue in support of enhanced policies and governance for poverty reduction, inclusive rural transformation and gender equity and equality;
• Participates in resource mobilization activities in accordance with Corporate strategy and Divisional plans;
• Promotes south-south cooperation activities related to poverty reduction, inclusive rural transformation and gender equity and equality.
• Supports coordination of poverty related policy and analytical work through the Organization; and facilitates linkages/synergies with other relevant units;
• Advocates for the integration of economic, social and gender equality issues across FAO's technical divisions as well as into FAO's agriculture and rural development programmes and projects, and participates in the project appraisal process.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in political sciences, agricultural economics, development economics, rural sociology, food security, sustainable agriculture (including livestock, forestry and fisheries), or related field.
• Seven years of relevant experience in socio-economic analysis, policy formulation, capacity building in relation to gender and social protection, or poverty reduction and implementation in areas related to poverty reduction and inclusive rural transformation.
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
• Relevance and extent of experience in policy analysis and policy advising, formulation and implementation relating to poverty reduction, inclusive rural transformation and gender equality
• Relevance and extent of experience in working with inter-governmental bodies and multi-disciplinary teams
• Familiarity with gender issues as appropriate is needed
• Working knowledge of a second FAO language is considered an asset