Practitioner / consultant
Be part of something bigger at BD. Here, you’ll join a driven, agile R&D team working in a start-up-like environment that has the backing and resources of a Fortune 500 company. In R&D, you never quite know what’s around the corner, but we can tell you that you’ll be involved in a variety of innovative and exciting projects, from developing new products to finding cost savings, and everything in between. Here, you’ll use your talent and track record for delivering technical solutions to complex problems to achieve one singular goal: advancing the world of health. At BD, you can make a true difference of one.
- Job Type:
What makes a successful Engineer Professional at BD? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
The complementary nature of BD and CareFusion capabilities make the new, combined company more relevant than ever before. It’s not just the solutions we offer, It’s also where we offer them. The global reach of the combined company can offer new solutions around the world.
Zakiyyah Walker, Staff Engineer, R&D Lean Processes
"As a new employee what I like most about BD are the many learning and professional developmental opportunities for growth offered. It is good to know that there are so many resources to choose from."
Michael Carrano, Sr. Program Manager, Sustaining Team Leader, R&D Project Management
"Since joining BD, I really have liked the people I work with on a daily basis and the collaboration towards common goals."
Justyna Zielinska, Project Manager, Project/Program ManagementJob Description SummarySUMMARY
"BD is full of passionate, loyal, and driven people that have a common goal of advancing healthcare without sacrificing quality or service."
We are looking for a senior level R&D engineer. A key objective of this role is to execute medical product innovation and design. This position requires an individual to develop new electromechanical products starting from concept and maturing through manufacturing and then commercialization. It also requires an individual to interact regularly with physicians, nurses or patients in order to assess needs, generate concepts and uncover unmet needs within the marketplace by partnering with cross-functional teams. This individual should have experience in launching medical device products through new product development (NPD) process.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES including the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Uncover new product concepts and drive those concepts into the NPD process
- Lead key project design initiatives and successfully deliver them through the NPD process to a successful commercialization
- Develop, prototype and test new electromechanical product systems and components by addressing customer needs and product requirements under defined cost targets
- Create product designs (systems and components) by understanding design space with design options and tradeoffs, managing critical parameters, and using design for manufacture principles
- Deliver design specifications and documentations such as 3D model files, 2D line drawings, and raw material specifications
- Design and build functional prototypes
- Perform product requirement management, FMEA, design verification and validation, and design transfer activities
- Perform, organize, plan and document research activities leading to new or improved products
- Develop, organize, plan, validate and document test methods that may be used for product development
- Design, review, plan, conduct and document laboratory experiments for the evaluation of new or improved products
- Draft protocols, test reports, test methods and data summaries
- Apply a breadth of technical know-how to solve design problems
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Strength in scientific and engineering principles, critical thinking and systematic problem-solving skills is an essential requirement to be successful in this position
- Strong technical judgement and leadership skills
- Strong facilitation and analytical skills with an open mind
- Highly motivated self-starter able to achieve results with minimal oversight
- Demonstrated record of new product development
- Detail oriented and ability to organize large amounts of work and data
- Strong interpersonal skills including communications, customer focus, professionalism, influencing and team interaction
- Strong time management skill with ability to organize the priority of work requirements and effectively work with team members to meet timeline
- Strong organization skills and ability to work in cross-functional teams
- Ability to create, review and coordinate test protocols and reports
- Ability to make engineering decisions
- Basic statistical analysis
- Minimum 5 years of product development experience
- Medical device development required
- Proficiency in Computer Aided Design and Drafting (2D & 3D) with one of the commercial CAD packages (SolidWorks or Pro/E)
- Experience in tolerance design, fluid dynamics, AC/DC circuit, power management, or digital and analog electronics desired
- Knowledgeable in system engineering, design control and Good Manufacturing Practices
- Familiarity with at least one commercial FEA or CFD software (e.g., Abaqus, Ansys, Fluent)
- Programming or data analysis skill (e.g. Python, MATLAB, LabView, Minitab) is a plus
- Understanding of wide range of manufacturing methods (e.g. injection molding, extrusion) and design for manufacturability desired
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures or government regulations. Ability to write reports and business correspondence. Ability to communicate well with individuals at all levels within (and outside) the organization.
Ability to perform basic engineering calculations and have understanding of design of experiment. Also requires understanding of statistical concepts.
This position requires good judgment. All product and process development activities within a team are to be carried out according to the applicable laws and regulations. When in doubt, the incumbent should source out the appropriate information via internal and external resources.
The incumbent will be a detail oriented individual with the skills to manage multiple priorities, projects and tasks all in support of corporate and divisional goals.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, walk, talk or hear. The employee will sometimes be required to move around in manufacturing facility or meet with medical professionals in hospital environment. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and color vision.
No special work environment conditions other than minimal exposure to manufacturing environment (i.e. noise, minimal heat and some chemical fume exposure), laboratory, and hospital settings.Primary Work Location
Jobs By Category
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other protected status.
All applicants should complete the on-line application process. BD is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you require assistance or an accommodation because of a disability to participate in the application process, please call 855-BD-HELPS (855-234-3577) or email email@example.com