Assistant professor / lecturer
We are looking for a tenure track assistant professor that fits the research profile of our department.
You will have the ability to conduct high-quality, creative research in the areas of interest to the department and publish your work in high-ranked international journals. You will work in a dynamic academic environment with excellent research facilities.
Based on the standardized faculty procedures, you will devote 50 percent of your contractual hours to research during your tenure track period.
Regarding teaching, you will contribute to courses in the Bachelor of Science (BSc) and Master of Science (MSc) programmes offered by the department, including the supervision of Bachelor’s and Master’s theses. Contribution to the highly selective two-year Research Master is also possible. You are expected to have management qualities, show leadership skills and to be able to provide motivation and supervision.
To qualify you should have:
• a PhD in (International) Economics, International Business
• an expertise in the above-mentioned field proven by the ability (or the potential) to publish in the top-tier international academic peer-reviewed journals
• a proven interest and ability in developing courses and teaching at the undergraduate and graduate level and in mentoring students
• an international network
• good interpersonal skills and ability to work individually and with a team
• organizational qualities and excellent communication skills; and
• potential to generate external funding for research projects.
Tenure track positions at the Faculty of Economics and Business are temporary positions subject to a tenure decision after six years. Formal tenure track requirements include criteria with respect to research, education and citizenship and service. During this period, 50% is for research and 50% for teaching (this is including preparation time). We refer the applicants to the criteria for the Tenure Track system (for a complete description see: https://www.rug.nl/(...)re-track-ud-uhd2.pdf).
The Department of Global Economics & Management is an active and international research group, consisting of approximately 80 people. Approximately 40 percent of staff members and more than 80 percent of our PhD students are non-Dutch.
Central research themes are International Economics, Economic Growth and Development, International Business, Economic Geography, and International Comparisons of Management Practices. We work on theoretical as well as applied research. We have published in a wide range of top journals, such as the American Economic Review, Journal of International Business Studies, Journal of International Economics, and the Journal of Economic Geography, and contributed to policy reports of international organisations.
We have two three-year Bachelor programmes, namely the BSc Economics & Business Economics, and the BSc International Business. In addition, we are also responsible for two one-year MSc programmes: the MSc in Economic Development and Globalization, and the MSc in International Business & Management. Our BSc and MSc programmes are taught in English. We also teach in the selective honours programme for BSc students, as well as the challenging two-year Research Master programme, which is intended for students aiming at a PhD.
Conditions of employment
We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- a salary depending on qualifications and work experience starting from a minimum of € 3,807 (salary scale 11) to a maximum of € 5,922 (salary scale 12) gross salary per month for a full-time position as Assistant Professor
- an 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus and participation in a pension scheme for employees. Favourable tax treatment may apply to non-Dutch applicants.
You will get an initial appointment for a period of seven years, on the condition of a positive interim evaluation at the end of the third year of employment. The seventh year is to compensate for any ‘life events’ (e.g., parental leave) which might take place during the first six years. Based on a positive final evaluation in the sixth year, you will receive a tenured position at Associate Professor level.
Your starting date should be no later than August 2022
Assistant professor / lecturer
9712 CP Groningen , Netherlands