Researcher / analyst
Position description: A Tenure Track position for a Junior Researcher Fellowship in the field of public policies analyses and evaluations based on large-scale datasets is available at the Research Institute for the Evaluation of Public Policies (IRVAPP).
FBK is a private research institute based in Trento (Italy) and operating in different scientific fields and disciplines. It has the aim of maintaining the Autonomous Province of Trento within the mainstream of international research. FBK is made up of seven centers with different research interests (www.fbk.eu /research-centers).
IRVAPP is a policy-relevant research institute based in Trento (Italy). Its scientific mission includes the evaluation of public policies as well as the dissemination of findings from this research, the promotion of a culture of impact evaluation and the training of policy evaluators. The Institute is regarded as one of the top institutions for evaluation research on public policy in Italy.
The basic methodological paradigm guiding empirical work at the Institute is the counterfactual analysis of causality. Research activities focus on policies in the fields of labour, education, health, welfare as well as industrial policies and social and economic programmes in developing countries.
Besides impact evaluation studies, the Institute also works on: i) analysis of socio-economic inequalities based on micro-data deriving from both large-scale surveys and administrative datasets; ii) development of tax-benefit micro-simulation models for the analysis of fiscal policies and their effects on income distributions.
The Institute invites applications from young researchers possessing a good experience in the field listed above and counterfactual impact evaluation of public policies to contribute to its institutional activity.
More information about IRVAPP is available at https://irvapp.fbk.eu/
IRVAPP is looking for a junior researcher fellow to be employed in the field of management and analysis of large scale data bases deriving from cross section and longitudinal surveys and from administrative archives regarding Labour Policies, Education Policies, Fiscal Policies and the Related Structure of Inequality.
The candidate is expected to:
- Assume duties and responsibilities appropriate to the appointment as may be assigned to him/her by the Director and the Governing Body of the Institute;
- Work closely with the Director and other senior researchers in specific projects;
- Prepare reports as well as journal and conference papers describing the work that has been done;
- Present results at scientific meetings and conferences;
- Contribute to the research fund raising activities and the preparation of bids for competitive national and international calls;
- Any other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Director.
- University degree (MA or equivalent) in social sciences (Economics, Political Sciences, Sociology and Statistics);
- 4 or more years of experience in the field of public policies analyses and evaluations based on large-scale datasets;
- 4 or more years of experience in: i) statistical modelling; and ii) methods for the evaluation of public policies;
- 2 or more papers based on the linkage of data from surveys to administrative archives;
- 4 or more years of experience in microsimulation models;
- Strong experience in designing interviewing techniques for large scale socio-economic surveys;
- Excellent working knowledge of Stata and, possibly, other statistical packages for quantitative analysis such as R, SAS or SPSS;
- Excellent communication (speaking and writing) skills in English and Italian.
- Interest and experience in evaluation of labour policies, education policies, fiscal policies;
- Interest and experience in cost benefits analysis of public policies;
- Interest and experience in measures of tax evasion;
- Good understanding of general methodological issues related to policy impact evaluation and multivariate analysis of large micro datasets;
- Good knowledge of the statistical problems related to policy impact evaluation and multivariate analysis of large micro datasets, mainly those related to administrative archives, and the specification of microsimulation models;
- Good knowledge of the literature on social inequalities, public policies will be appreciated.
- Experience in organizing academic workshops or similar events;
- Good programming skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and willingness to work effectively in team, as well as independently;
- Commitment to rigorous scientific research;
- Excellent time management, planning and organizational skills (also under pressure).
Type of contract: Tenure Track contract, leading to an FBK 3rd Level Researcher (R3) permanent contract.
Duration: The maximum duration of the Tenure Track contract is up to 5 years (which may be reduced depending on the assessment by the Committee of the candidate’s capacities and skills). If the final assessment of the Tenure Track experience is positive, the selected candidate for the tenure track position will be offered a permanent R3 contract.
Gross annual salary: about € 39.300 plus objectives achievement bonus.
Work hours: full time (38 h per week)
Start date: September 2019
Workplace: Trento (Italy)
Benefits: flexi-time, company subsidized cafeteria or meal vouchers, internal car park, welcome office support for visa formalities, accommodation, social security, etc., training courses, reduced bank account opening fees, public transport, sports facilities, language courses fees. Further details at www.welfarefbk.info.
Candidates are required to submit their applications by filling in the webform available at https://jobs.fbk.eu/.
Please ensure that your application includes the following attachments (.pdf format):
- full CV (including statement of research interest and the names and contacts of two referees);
- list of publications;
- letter of motivation regarding the field of interest.
Application deadline: 23rd of May 2019
Please read our Regulations “Guidelines for Tenure Track positions” and Tenure Track FAQ before completing your application.
For further information or technical issues regarding the application, please contact the Human Resources Service at email@example.com.