- Designed for those with a strong mathematical background looking to pursue a career in finance
- Be prepared for careers in areas that require expert skills in mathematical and financial modelling, computational analysis and business management
- Develop essential, complementary skills in areas such as probability and stochastic analysis, option pricing, risk analysis and extremes, computational methods using MATLAB/C++, financial management and investment analysis
- Undertake a project in your chosen field, where you’ll develop your research, computational, and modelling skills with support from staff who have extensive experience working in multiple financial services and insurance industries.
8th in the Russell Group for MathematicsThe Guardian University League Table 2020Wide range of exciting and high-impact research projects Research expertise in climate modelling and statistics; control and dynamics; systems biology; astrophysical fluid flows and number theory
Normally a 2:1 Honours degree or equivalent in a mathematics, science or engineering subject, with significant mathematics content.
Requirements for international students
If you are an international student, please visit our international equivalency pages to enable you to see if your existing academic qualifications meet our entry requirements.
- Combine your masters in Financial Mathematics with work experience in the UK, putting your learning into practice while studying
- Studied over two years, you’ll have the opportunity to gain valuable professional experience by completing a 9-12 month work placement in a role relevant to your degree
- Become a sought-after professional with strong industry experience
Fees can normally be paid by two termly instalments and may be paid online. You will also be required to pay a tuition fee deposit to secure your offer of a place, unless you qualify for exemption. For further information about paying fees see our Student Fees pages.
UK government postgraduate loan scheme
Global Excellence Scholarship
We are delighted to offer Global Excellence Scholarships for students of outstanding academic quality applying to postgraduate Taught programmes starting in autumn 2020.Please note that this scholarship isn't offered for all our masters programmes.
Teaching and research
Teaching is by lectures, example classes, computer classes, tutorials, set work, project work, reading and self-study. The exact form and number of the lectures and tutorials varies from module to module and is chosen according to the material to be covered.
You will use the computer programming language Matlab and online financial databases such as Bloomberg and Datastream.
You will be allocated a Personal Tutor who is available for advice and support throughout your studies, along with support and mentoring from graduates who are now placed in industry. There is also a Postgraduate Tutor available to help with further guidance and advice.
A research and practice-led culture
We believe every student benefits from being taught by experts active in research and practice. You will discuss the very latest ideas, research discoveries and new technologies in seminars and in the field and you will become actively involved in a research project yourself. All our academic staff are active in internationally-recognised scientific research across a wide range of topics. You will also be taught by leading industry practitioners.
The University of Exeter has an established reputation of training tomorrow's great minds to a high standard, so when it comes to life after graduation you can be confident that you are starting your next professional adventure in a prime, leading position. All programmes are designed so you not only get a second to none education in your area of choice, but you also are equipped with the correct vocational skills to achieve success in the working world or in further study.
Dedicated careers support
You will receive support from our dedicated Career Zone team, who provide excellent career guidance at all stages of career planning. The Career Zone provides one-on-one support and is home to a wealth of business and industry contacts. Additionally, they host useful training events, workshops and lectures which are designed to further support you in developing your enterprise acumen. Please visit the Career Zone for additional information on their services.