Offered by:Why pursue an MBA in Investment Management
Financial service experts understand that in order to succeed in the investment management industry, obtaining the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation is a must. By combining the CFA credential with an MBA focused on a comprehensive business education, candidates are setting themselves up for highly successful careers as corporate leaders. We need scholars and financial professionals with strong academic backgrounds to investigate the realities of investor psychology and financial markets in order to better assist clients achieve their investment objectives.
The MBA in Investment Management provides you with an opportunity to pursue two world-recognized designations simultaneously. Courses are offered in Toronto and Montreal, giving you the benefits of a full-time program with the flexibility of a part-time schedule. This structure allows 70 per cent of our cohort to work while they study, allowing them to continue to accumulate the four years of work experience required to earn the CFA charter.
Our program is partnered with the CFA Institute, enabling you to take advantage of the latest material the global association has to offer. Along with faculty members that are at the forefront of academic research and investment management practices, our curriculum ensures that students have pass rates that often double the worldwide average.
The Admissions committee will evaluate the potential of each candidate for success within the program. A bachelor’s degree, with high academic standing, or qualifications accepted as equivalent by the School of Graduate Studies and acceptance into the CFA® program are necessary for admission. The applicants are evaluated according to the following criteria: undergraduate performance, Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) scores, work experience, detailed evaluations from employers and former university instructors, and statements of self-assessment. Students without formal undergraduate training in quantitative methods, accounting, economics, and finance will be required to demonstrate adequate preparation.
Note: GMAT requirements for GIIM applicants who have already passed CFA Level I examinations will be waived.
Proficiency in English. Applicants whose primary language is not English must demonstrate that their knowledge of English is sufficient to pursue graduate studies in their chosen field. Please refer to the Graduate Admission page for further information on the Language Proficiency requirements and exemptions.
To earn the Master of Business Administration (Investment Management option) degree from Concordia University, the student must successfully complete 57 credits and must pass Level I of the CFA® exams. Students are expected to complete the degree in no more than five years from the year of initial registration in the program.
- Application form: A completed electronic application form must be submitted. Payment of a $100 CDN non-refundable application fee payable by VISA or MasterCard, must be received before your file can be reviewed. We welcome you to consult How to apply online to prepare you for a smoother application process. Please note: when completing the application, the program name under "academic program" is "MBA", and the "academic plan" is "Master of Business Administration Investment Management – Montreal" or "Master of Business Administration Investment Management – Toronto".
- Bachelor’s degree: An undergraduate degree, preferably in business (GPA 3.0/4.3 or higher, or equivalent) is required. Official transcripts must be sent directly to the Admission Application Centre. All transcripts should be in the original language. If you submit certificates in a language other than English or French, you must submit a copy translated into either English or French by a certified translator.Official TranscriptsPlease upload unofficial copies of transcripts, from all previous educational institutions, when you apply to Concordia because it speeds up the review of your application. If you are currently enrolled in school: Submit the results of previous terms and a list of your current courses Include mid-year grades if they're availableUploaded transcripts, however, are not official transcripts. Official transcripts are documents sent directly from an institution to our Admissions Application Centre. Unless otherwise specified, we request official transcripts only once you are admitted.
- GMAT results: Generally, we look for an overall score of 550 or higher. Test results must be sent directly to the Admissions Application Centre from the examination board. Results more than five years old will not be accepted. Our institution code for the GMAT is 93H-0N-73, please go to MBA.com for details. Exemption: GMAT is not necessary for admission if one passes CFA® level I exam.
- English Proficiency: Applicants whose primary language is not English and who do not meet one of the proofs of proficiency listed below must write an English proficiency test, regardless of their citizenship.
- Quebec applicants who have completed a Diploma of Collegial Studies (DEC) and a university degree in Quebec;
- A minimum of three full years of study at the undergraduate or graduate level at an accredited university in one of the following countries.
- Minimum English Proficiency Score
- IELTS overall band score 7.0 and no part under 6.5
- Statement of Purpose: Applicants must provide a Statement of Purpose indicating their reason for choosing the MBA in Investment Management, their career goals, and how the program will contribute to achieving those goals. Applicants must include personal commentary regarding their knowledge of the CFA Program and discussion of their ability and commitment to devote sufficient time to their academic studies. Statement of Purpose should be approximately 500 words in length.
- Two Reference Letters: When completing your application online, you will be required to enter your referees’ names, affiliated institutions and email addresses (college/university or company mail). Your referees will then receive an email inviting them to complete an electronic assessment form and attach their letter of reference. It is your responsibility to follow-up with your referees to confirm they received this mail from email@example.com. You are strongly encouraged to submit your application before your program’s application deadline in order to give your referees sufficient time to provide their assessment and letter of reference.
- Proof of citizenship: Canadian citizens and permanent residents, a copy of both sides of your Canadian citizenship card, permanent residence paper (IMM-1000) or permanent resident card is required. International applicants will be required to submit a Study Permit and CAQ only after they have received an offer of admission.
Our MBA program is the first one in the world to completely integrate the CFA Body of Knowledge™ into its curriculum. This forms the basis of the three CFA exams that need to be passed in order to obtain the CFA charter.
MBA Year 1/CFA Level I - focuses on investment valuation and portfolio management tools and concepts, and provides an overview of asset valuation and portfolio management processes.
MBA Year 2/CFA Level II - focuses on asset valuation. You will apply the tools and concepts emphasized in Year I to analyze and value investments.
MBA Year 3/CFA Level III - further explores the discipline of portfolio management. You will demonstrate a working knowledge of the portfolio management process, applying the concepts learned in Years I and II.
Toronto and Montreal have recently been named in the Globe and Mail, Huffington Post and other media as the two best cities in which to live. Classes are held concurrently in both cities using a combination of traditional classroom instruction and advanced videoconferencingtechnology.
Our Toronto facility is located on Bay Street in the heart of the city’s financial district. Courses take place on a corporate floor where all major banks rent space for their meetings, allowing students the opportunity to network with experts in the financial services industry.
Students in Montreal can take advantage of state-of-the-art classrooms and facilities located in the John Molson Building. A fully equipped trading room, 36 private study spaces and 22 conference rooms are just some of the features of this LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) silver-certified landmark.
The Goodman Institute of Investment Management provides additional study assistance with four days of intensive courses just before each level of the CFA examinations. These courses are designed to prepare students for CFA exam writing and are taught by CFA instructors. Courses are available at the end of April or early May in both Toronto and Montreal, and tuition fees cover the costs of the preparation week.
Our program is also enriched with specialized activities, including interview skills training sessions, career networking services, exam writing and study skills workshops, and a business leaders speaker series.
A number of fellowships, awards and bursaries are offered in recognition of academic excellence and on the basis of financial need, ranging from $2,500 to $18,000 per year.
The Ned Goodman Teaching Assistantship Endowment, valued at $4,750, is open primarily to current Year 2 students preparing to enter Year 3 of the program. Two teaching assistants are selected each academic year, with one located in Toronto and another in Montreal.
Our graduates occupy various positions in all the five major banks in Canada, on Wall Street and in various specialized boutique firms. Sectors in which our alumni have found great success include asset management, investment banking, investment management, institutional sales and trading, hedge funds, private equity, research and corporate finance, and venture capital.
Hear directly from our graduates as they discuss how the MBA in Investment Management helped them become experts in their fields.
Important information about admissions
Please be advised that Concordia University does not process admissions or fee payments through third parties for our degree programs. All applicants are advised to ensure that they are communicating directly with the university for admissions and fee payments.
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Montreal, Quebec, CanadaMontreal, Quebec, Canada