PhD in Business Administration
Koç University Graduate School of Business (GSB) PhD in Business Administration program's main focus is to train students to become influential research scholars in their field of study at top universities worldwide. Interested students should desire an academic position at a top university, and possess the motivation and ability to attain this goal.
Three aspects of the program stand out to help achieve its primary goal of training high-quality researchers:
The Quality of the Faculty
Koç GSB Faculty members:
- Have PhDs from reputable PhD programs worldwide,
- Are research-active
- Publish in top journals in their area of expertise
- A number of faculty are represented in editorial review boards of top journals
- Flexible structure to accommodate students with unique goals and backgrounds. For example, PhD candidates in marketing can focus on consumer behavior, strategy, or modeling, and customize their course work accordingly. This customization may involve taking courses from related disciplines, including economics, and psychology.
- Program requirements focus on developing conceptual and methodological skills, which are essential to producing quality academic research.
Our Ph.D. in Business Administration program has a flexible and interdisciplinary structure. Students can specialize in one of the following areas:
- Marketing: Students can choose to study consumer behavior, behavioral decision theory, marketing strategy, and modeling (analytical and empirical).
- Operations and Information Systems: Students can focus on logistics, service operations, or supply chain management.
- Quantitative Methods: Students can specialize in data mining (with applications in OM/marketing/finance), decision sciences and mathematical programming.
- Finance: Students can engage in research in asset pricing and corporate finance.
- Management and Strategy: Students can focus on mergers and acquisitions, international market entry strategies, entrepreneurship, technology commercialization, system dynamics, corporate governance and non-market strategies, organizational behavior, occupational health, leadership and behavioral decision making.
- Koç GSB Faculty is dedicated to the training of PhD students, and collaborate with them on joint projects. Published papers that resulted from such collaborations attest to the success of this approach.
- PhD students have very limited teaching responsibilities so that they can focus on their research program and develop their research skills without much distraction on their time.
For students interested in experimental methods, there is a dedicated marketing lab with twenty one lab stations. Data collection is simplified thanks to specialized software that handles study announcements, participant sign-ups, and extra credit assignments