Center for International Political Analysis
Posted on:


Financial aid

If the amount of money you receive from grants, scholarships, or work-study isn't enough to cover your expenses, you should consider a loan. This type of financial aid generally requires repayment, and financial need may not be required for some loan programs.

There are many things to consider when choosing a lender. Be sure to ask the following questions:

What are the loan fees?

What is the interest rate?

When do I have to start repaying the loan?

Do I have to be meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Standards?

Does the loan require me to be enrolled in a certain number of hours?

What repayment options are available?

Begin by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine eligibility for the Federal Health Professions Student Loan (HPSL), Federal Loan for Disadvantaged Students (LDS), Federal Stafford Loans (Subsidized and/or Unsubsidized), Federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS), and Federal Graduate PLUS Loan. These types of loans usually provide low-interest financial assistance to students who are eligible and have more favorable repayment terms and conditions in comparison to private loans.

You may also consider a KU Endowment loan or other private loans (sometimes referred to as alternative or supplemental loans) for additional funding when federal financial aid is not enough to cover your estimated cost of attendance (COA).

More Information

Posted on:


Financial aid


Lawrence , United States