The Pacific Trade and Development (PAFTAD) Fellowship for Young Scholars is aimed at attracting emerging economists in the Asia Pacific region and assisting them in contributing to discussion of Asia Pacific economic policy.
It is widely considered one of the most distinguished fellowships available to young researchers in the field. Up to five fellowships will be offered by the PAFTAD Secretariat this year.
Successful applicants will present their papers at the PAFTAD Young Fellows Seminar in the run-up to the 40th PAFTAD Conference in Bangkok, Thailand, held during 16–19 July 2019. The theme of this year’s conference is New Dimensions of Connectivity in the Asia Pacific.
- Unpublished empirical paper on themes related to Asia Pacific trade and economic development (examples of previous topics are listed here)
- 7000-10,000 words (including abstract of less than 300 words)
- Individual author
- Current résumé (including citizenship(s), date of birth and gender)
- Aged 35 years or younger at 16 July 2019 (proof of age will be required if selected)
- Be available to participate for the duration of the PAFTAD Conference (16–19 July 2019)
- Have not previously been selected as a PAFTAD Young Fellow
Paper and résumé must be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm (AEST), Friday, 12 April 2019.
- Return economy airfare to Bangkok from home institution
- Registration for the Young Fellows Seminar and 40th PAFTAD Conference
- Accommodation for the duration of the Young Fellows Seminar and PAFTAD Conference (16–19 July 2019)
- Publication of your paper as a PAFTAD Working Paper
Involvement in PAFTAD conference
- Present your paper at the Young Fellows Seminar (16 July 2019).
- Act as a discussant on another Young Fellow’s paper (16 July 2019).
- Attend and provide comment where possible on the papers presented during the PAFTAD Conference (16 July–19 July 2019).
Fellowship / research funding
Bangkok , Thailand