Top Political Science & International Relations Departments in Europe 2015
When you're looking for the best institutions for your subject, it's important to consider the standing of not only the institution as a whole, but also the specific department in which you wish to study or research. Although it's a matter of debate what makes the very best academic departments, there are some universally-recognised leaders in each discipline.
To help you find the best departments in Political Science and International Relations, we've compiled a list of the top twenty departments in Europe. Check back for another article on the top departments worldwide.
- Department of Politics and International Relations, University of Oxford, United Kingdom
- Department of Government, London School of Economics, United Kingdom
- Department of Politics and International Studies, University of Cambridge, United Kingdom
- School of International Relations, University of St. Andrew's, United Kingdom
- Centre d’études et de recherches internationales, Sciences Po Paris, France
- Politics and International Studies, University of Warwick, United Kingdom
- Department of Political Science, University of Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Department of Political Science, Leiden University, Netherlands
- Politics and International Relations, University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom
- Department of History and Political Science, University of Manchester, United Kingdom
- Department of Political Science, University College London, United Kingdom
- Department of Political Economy, King's College London, United Kingdom
- School of Government & International Affairs, Durham University, United Kingdom
- Politics and International Relations, Cardiff University, United Kingdom
- School of Sociology, Politics and International Studies, University of Bristol, United Kingdom
- Department of Political Science, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland
- Humanities, Social and Political Sciences, ETH Zurich (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology), Switzerland
- Political and Social Sciences, Freie Universität Berlin, Germany
- Department of Political Science and Government, Aarhus University, Denmark
- Department of Politics, University of Sheffield, United Kingdom
- Study Advice Article
5 key differences between American- and European-style PhD programs
This piece primarily focuses on the differences and similarities between economics PhD programs on the two sides of the Atlantic. I later discuss how an economics PhD is organized in other parts of the world, as many other countries have modeled their PhD programs on one of these two styles. Program duration The most striking difference between an American and European economics PhD is the expected duration of the program.
- PhD Recruitment
Optimise your Recruitment Strategy for Economics PhD Positions
Candidates can find more information in our guide on how to successfully apply to a PhD in Economics. For institutions aiming to find the best international talent for their PhD positions, the most important question is how to reach the right audience, primarily current master’s students. You don’t want to waste all your budget chasing after the wrong candidates.
- Study Advice Article
8 Qualities Which Will Get You Through Tough Times In Your PhD
1. Creative Thinking When things go wrong during your PhD program – which they surely will! – then you need to find creative solutions. If your initial analysis found no meaningful results for your primary question, did it reveal other interesting insights? If your pilot experiment didn’t work out, can you salvage the data or design a better experiment? Perhaps you couldn’t find the data you were hoping for – would finding a suitable instrumental variable help fill the gap?