PhD in Economics - Barcelona
PhD in Economics
Regular fees: 540 EUR
International Fees : 540 EUR
Student’s fees for university master’s degrees are decreed on an annual basis by the Catalan government and Universitat de Barcelona. The annual tuition academic fees for the academic year 2022/2023 are €540.92.
Check the website
The UB School of Economics offers the opportunity to undertake research in a wide range of fields of economics, taking part in an international PhD programme at the University of Barcelona.
The PhD in Economics has been accredited with Excellence after an exhaustive and rigorous external evaluation by the Catalan University Quality Assurance Agency (AQU), which acknowledges the quality and impact of the research carried out within the PhD framework.
The PhD in Economics at the University of Barcelona is addressed to students interested in pursuing advanced study and conducting original research in economics, offering research training and close supervision by faculty members prominent in their fields.
We provide a dynamic and stimulating environment offering weekly research seminars, PhD seminars, workshops, conferences, courses and research activities in which students are invited to participate.
Overview of the course
Students enrolled in the programme will be assigned one or two supervisors specialised in their chosen research field. Throughout the programme, students are required to participate in a number of complementary activities. These include research seminars, workshops, courses and conferences. PhD candidates are also encouraged to publish their research and to seek temporary research placements at other universities or research institutions.
The programme prepares PhD students for the academic job market. Former PhD students have been placed in academic research institutions in the US and Europe such as Bruegel (Belgium), Eurac Research (Italy), PUC-Rio (Brasil), London School of Economics (UK), Korea University (South Korea), Universidad Carlos III (Spain), Institue of Economics – Hungarian Academy of Sciences (Hungary), Booking (Netherlands), Yale University (US), University of Sussex (UK)… As well as international organizations and governmental institutions.
We have collected some of the current opportunities for entry funding for the academic year 2023-2024:
- 2 Scholarships in Economics. More information.
- 1 Scholarship in Energy and Environmental Economics. More information.
- 1 Scholarship in Urban Economics. More information.
- 1 Research Assistant in Development Economics. More information.
- 1 Research Assistant in Population and Family
- Economics. More information.
- 1 Research Assistant in Spatial Mobility, Green and Digital Transition. More information
Be reminded that you need to apply for both the PhD programme and the scholarship/RA before 31 March 2023.
Other calls for full scholarships offered by public and private institutions will be published in Autumn 2023 (after you join the PhD programme). Our admissions team works closely with all admitted students who need financial assistance, supporting them to evaluate their options and eligibility, and helping them with scholarship applications.
Study Options: Full-Time (3 years) / Part-Time (5 years)
- Master’s degree in Economics with a satisfactory average grade, a solid foundation in economics and analytical skills (advanced Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Econometrics and Mathematics), field courses and a research Master Thesis.
- Proof of proficiency in English. Unless you are a native English speaker or have undertaken a university study programme in English, you need to provide evidence of your English proficiency. Preferred certificates are the Cambridge, TOEFL (Code C085 for all UB School of Economics programmes) or IELTS. Please upload a copy of it in the application form. Additionally, you can also report the score to us directly via your test center.
- References. Once your application is reviewed by the admissions team, you will receive an email to provide the name and contact email of two scholars that support your application. They will receive an automated email with general questions about your profile. Only references received before the 7th day after the corresponding period application deadline will be considered.
To enter a PhD programme at the University of Barcelona, it is necessary to have completed 300 ECTS credits, and 60 of those have to correspond to an official graduate, research oriented master’s programme.
PhD in Economics
John M. Keynes 1-11
Barcelona , Spain