Top Economics Think Tanks and Research Institutes in Latin America
In the field of economics, many students want to eventually work in a think tank or research institution. That's why we're compiling lists of the best institutions around the world, and today we're looking at Latin America.
The CIDE is a social sciences research institution which offers funding and promotes development of future social leaders, with a focus on economic, political, and social issues. They perform work in six academic divisions: public administration, economics, international studies, legal studies, political studies, and history.
The Group for the Analysis of Development seeks to develop applied research to improve public policy, especially with regard to the development of Peru and other Latin American countries. They perform research in the areas of economics, education, the environment, and social studies.
This think tank based in Chile works on the study of public issues and the dissemination of these findings to the public and to decision makers. They have published papers on topics including the relationship between economic policy and the military, the importance of the environment in developmental work, and effective policies for improving the quality of education in schools.
The Foundation for Higher Education and Development (Fedesarrollo) works in Columbia to perform research into public policy issues, in order to promote economic and social development within the country. This covers topics such as the baking system, the benefits of renewable energy technologies, and the efficacy of health care programs.
Find below a list of further economics think tanks in Latin America, as provided by RePEc.
- Centro de Estudios para el Desarrollo Argentino (CENDA) (Center for the Study of Argentinean Development), Buenos Aires
- Centro de Implementación de Políticas Públicas para la Equidad y el Crecimiento (CIPPEC) (Center for the Implementation of Public Policies promoting Equity and Growth), Buenos Aires
- Centro de Investigación y Formación de la República Argentina (CIFRA) (Center for Research and Studies of the Republic of Argentina), Buenos Aires
- Centro de Investigación y Acción Social (CIAS) (Center for Social Research and Action), Buenos Aires
- Fundación Capital (Capital Foundation), Buenos Aires
- Fundación de Investigaciones Económicas Latinoamericanas (FIEL) (Foundation for Economic Research on Latin America), Buenos Aires
- Fundación Friedrich A. von Hayek (Friedrich A. von Hayek Foundation), Buenos Aires
- Fundación Norte y Sur (Noth and South Foundation), Buenos Aires
- Fundación Siena (Siena Foundation), Buenos Aires
- Grupo Sophia (Sophia Group), Buenos Aires
- Instituto de Estudios de las Finanzas Públicas Argentinas (IEFPA) (Institute for Argentine Public Finance Studies), Buenos Aires
- Instituto de Estudios sobre la Realidad Argentina y Latinoamericana (IERAL) (Institute for the Study of the Argentine and Latinamerican Reality), Córdoba
- Instituto Torcuato di Tella (ITDT) (Torcuato di Tella Institute), Buenos Aires
- Libertad y Progreso (Liberty and Progress), Buenos Aires
- Fundación Milenio (Milenio Foundation), La Paz
- Grupo Nacional de Trabajo para la Participación (GNTP) (National Work Group on Participation), Santa Cruz
- Transparencia Brasil (Transparency Brazil), Sao Paulo
- Centro de Estudios Públicos (Center for Public Studies), Santiago
- Corporación de Estudios para Latinoamérica (CIEPLAN) (Corporation for the Study of Latin America), Santiago
- Estudios Nueva Economía (ENE) (New Economy Studies), Santiago
- Fundació SOL (SOL Foundation), Santiago
- Instituto Libertad (Liberty Institute), Santiago
- Libertad y Desarrollo (Liberty and Development), Santiago
- Fundación para la Educación Superior y el Desarrollo (Fedesarrollo) (Foundation for Higher Education and Development)
- Academia de Centroamérica (Academy of Central-America), San José
- Corporación de Estudios para el Desarrollo (CORDES) (Corporation for the Study of Development), Quito
- Fundación Salvadoreña para el Desarrollo Económico y Social (FUSADES) (Salvadoran Foundation for Economic and Social Development), La Libertad
- Asociación de Investagación y Estudios Sociales (ASIES) (Social Research and Studies Association), Ciudad de Guatemala
- Instituto Centroamericano de Estudios Fiscales (ICEFI) (Central American Institute for Fiscal Studies), Ciudad de Guatemala
- Centro de Estudios Espinosa Yglesias (CEEY) (Espinosa Yglesias Study Center), México
- Centro de Investigación Económica y Presupuestaria (CIEP) (Center for Economic and Fiscal Research), México
- Centro de Investigación y Docencia Económicas (CIDE) (Center for Research and Teaching of Economics), México
- Fundación BBVA Bancomer (BBVA Bancomer Foundation), México
- Fundación Nicaragüense para el Desarrollo Económico y Social (FUNIDES) (Nicaraguayan Foundation for Economic and Social Development), Managua
- Fundacion Internacional para el Desafio Economico Global (FIDEG) (International Foundation Global Economic Challenge)
- Instituto Desarrollo (Development Institute), Asunción
- Grupo de Análisis para el Desarrollo (GRADE) (Group for the Analysis of Development), Lima
- Instituto de Economía de Libre Mercado (IELM) (Institute of Free Market Economics)
- Instituto de Estudios Sociales del Rímac (IESR) (Rimac Institute for Social Studies), Pueblo Libre/Lima
- Instituto de Libre Empresa (ILE) (Free Enterprise Institute), Lima
- Instituto Libertad y Democracia (ILD) (Institute for Liberty and Democracy), Lima
- Centro de Divulgación del Conocimiento Económico (CEDICE) (Center for Education on Economic Knowledge), Caracas
- Instituto Libertad y Prosperidad, Caracas
For further job listings and careers advice for economists, see these articles:
Top European Master’s Programs in Economics
As admissions season for Master’s programs in Europe gets underway, we thought we would help you narrow your search by posting a list of 15 Top Master’s Programs in Economics, grouped by country. Back in January we posted the Top Research Institutions in Europe, based on RePEc rankings. The list below moves beyond rankings to include personally selected institutions from across Europe that offer highly acclaimed Master’s programs in a range of disciplines and specializations.
Top 10 Economics Departments in Spain
In recent months we have published a series of articles about the best economics departments in Europe, Asia and Latin America.
Top Economics Think Tanks and Research Institutes in the US
Think tanks are important institutions in the modern world. As the world becomes more globalised, think tanks which can undertake research and advocacy work at a transnational level become essential players in the global scene. Seeing as economics doesn't happen in a vacuum - each country's economic situation affects the political situation of every other country - they are also crucial to the profession (or at least, line of academic study) of most of the readers of this website. But which ones are the ones you should be following?