At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you an experienced assistant, who enjoys working on a variety of projects in a multicultural environment? Do you want to broaden your knowledge in new areas where excellence is the key factor? Put in place your organizational expertise and provide a perfect service to all members of CERN’s Engineering department! CERN, take part!
The Engineering department’s Administration Resources and Performance (ARP) group is the backbone of the Engineering department, providing administrative, management and coordination support. You will join the Administration Section, providing centralised administrative and secretarial services.
You will join a team of assistants and participate in the daily management of one or more Group Secretariat(s) - with special emphasis on information, communication and organizational services.
By applying relevant CERN rules and procedures, you will:
- Provide administrative support and advice to all categories of members of personnel (upon arrival, departure and throughout their appointment) of the Department.
- Contribute to the smooth operation of the administration.
- Store, update and archive physical and electronic documents, web pages, shared files.
- Process requests for leaves, reimbursements, payments, travels.
- Process information in the form of e-mails, letters, minutes, procedures and presentations.
- Seek, receive and distribute as required official information; provide assistance for document drafting, editing, proofreading, follow-up, distribution, archiving and updating by using the appropriated tools.
- Provide assistance to Group Leader(s) (managing diaries, incoming and outgoing phone calls, official duty trips, meetings).
- Organise and provide the required logistic support for events (conferences, workshops, etc).
- Replace other assistants during their absences.
Technical certificate or general secondary education in the field of General Adminisitration or a related field. Professional training in the field of secretarial and administrative methods would be an asset.
- Proven experience in a variety of administrative tasks for a large unit, preferably in a front-line and international environment.
- Proven experience in using a diverse set of modern office computing tools and in maintaining and archiving data and documents.
- Experience in establishing and implementing administrative processes and procedures would be an advantage.
- Knowledge of administrative rules and procedures.
- Archiving and records management.
- Secretarial work.
- Use of office software packages: mainly Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access, and Outlook.
- Customer service.
- Demonstrating accountability: working conscientiously and reliably; delivering on promises.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Communicating effectively: providing others with timely information; ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented; expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
Spoken and written English and French: ability to understand and speak both languages in professional contexts as well as the ability to prepare/draft and/or translate accurate texts in on of the languages.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 08.01.2020
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite contract.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: EN-ARP-ADM-2019-125-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Personal/Team Assistant
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further