Assistant professor / lecturer
ABOUT GHENT UNIVERSITY
Ghent University is one of the most important education and research institutions in the Low Countries. On a daily basis, over 9,000 staff members and 41,000 students implement its motto "Dare to Think". Ghent University's mission statement is characterised by qualitative education, internationally renowned research and a pluralistic social responsibility.
The Faculty of Economics and Business Administration at Ghent University (Belgium) has a vacancy for a full-time position in the rank of assistant professor (tenure track) in the Department of Economics, starting on February 1, 2020, at the earliest. The position is available for 5 years (tenure track system) and consists of both research and teaching activities. The temporary position can result in a permanent (tenured) position in the rank of associate professor after 5 years, based on the evaluation of individual intentions and ambitions regarding research, education and academic services, set out at the beginning of the appointment.
You contribute to the education offered by the Department. You lecture course units in economics at bachelor’s, master’s and/or PhD level, in line with your research expertise.
You are also expected to supervise bachelor’s and/or master's theses and act as academic advisor for doctoral students. Participation in the basic training course for UGent professorial staff is mandatory.
The Faculty of Economics and Business Administration offers a dynamic and internationally oriented research environment. You will be part of the Department of Economics and conduct research in the discipline of economics.
- conduct high-quality research that results in publications in high ranked journals
- strengthen the theoretical basis of research in the Department
- attract research funding
- contribute to the Department’s and the Faculty’s research reputation
Specific selection criteria for research include current research output, research potential, and (the possibility of) synergies with the members of the Department of Economics. More information about ongoing research and the Department of Economics can be found on the website https://www.ugent.be/eb/economics/en.
Assistant professors (tenure track) are expected to take some part in the internal and external service provision of the Department of Economics and to contribute to the social valorisation and communication of research results.
- You hold a PhD in Economics or a fully equivalent degree, and have at least two years of postdoctoral experience on February 1, 2020.
- You have already conducted excellent academic research in the discipline of economics, which is clearly reflected in high quality publications in international peerreviewed economics journals;
- You have proven your ability to answer academically and socially relevant research questions from a theoretical model/framework that you have developed yourself.
- Your research is in line with existing research areas of the Department of Economics and/or includes the possibility of synergies with these research areas (https://www.ugent.be/eb/economics/en). Connecting different key research areas is an advantage.
- You are capable of initiating, supervising and acquiring the necessary funding for academic research;
- You are didactically skilled to teach university students to develop academic competences;
- Recommended are:
- Having an extensive natinal and international research network
- Internatinal mobility, among other things thanks to research stays at institutions external to the one where you acquired your highest academic degree;
- Experience with research supervisin and/or the guidance of PhD students.
- Psitively evaluated academic teaching experience;
- Prof of efforts to professionalize education, e.g. by participating at teacher training programmes.
Skills / Attitude
- You are quality-oriented;
- You take initiative;
- You are a team player
- You have good communication skills
- You hold a thesisbased doctorate or a diploma or certificate that is recognised as equivalent (article V.20 Codex Higher Education).
Upon evaluation of a foreign (non-EU) diploma, a certificate of equivalence may still have to be requested at NARIC. If this is the case, we advise you to initiate this recognition procedure as soon as possible. You are required to have the recognition no later than on the date of your appointment.
- You have at least two years of postdoctoral experience on 1 February 2020. This term of two years is determined by the date written on the above-mentioned required diploma.
- We offer you a temporary appointment in a tenure track system for a term of five years. If positively evaluated by the University Board, the term of office will be transferred into a permanent appointment as an associate professor.
- Should you already be a member of the professorial staff or hold an equal post at another university or research institution, you can immediately be appointed as an assistant professor, without prejudice to the possibility of a temporary appointment offered in article V.28 of the Codex of Higher Education.
The recruitment is possible no sooner than 1 February 2020.
The career and evaluation policy for Professorial Staff is based on talent development and growth, prioritizing vision development and strategy - at the personal as well as the group level. At UGent we focus on career support and coaching of the Professorial Staff in the different phases of the career. More information can be found on www.ugent.be/professorialcareer.
Ghent University is committed to properly welcoming new professorial staff members and offering them appropriate guidance. The basic teacher training and courses of 'Dutch' and 'English' for foreign-speaking lecturers are only a few examples of our wide range of training and education opportunities. Furthermore, each Ghent University staff member can count on a number of benefits such as a bike allowance, reimbursement of public transport commuting costs, daycare, a wide range of sports facilities and EcoCheques. A complete overview of all our employee benefits (in Dutch).
Ghent University also invests in welcoming international professorial staff. It offers various housing options, a relocation bonus, the International School for school-aged children (with a discount on the tuition fee), support when registering at the City of Ghent, support with the procedure of family reunification and other administrative matters in connection with moving to Ghent. More information can be found on www.ugent.be/en/living and www.ugent.be/en/staff.
Ghent University offers each new ZAP-member a starting bourse of 200.000 euro.
GENDER AND DIVERSITY
Ghent University conducts an equal opportunities policy and encourages everyone to apply. Ghent University also strives for a gender balance. Female applications are thus especially welcomed.
After the final application date, all received applications will be sent to the faculty assessment committee assembled for this vacancy. This committee will first evaluate the application files. Therefore it will match all elements of the file against the required expertise for the position in terms of education, research and scientific service. Based on this deliberation, relevant candidates will be shortlisted to be invited for further selection (interview, possible presentation or test lecture …). Afterwards, the committee will rank the suitable candidates and present this ranking to the Faculty Board. The advice of the Faculty Board will then be presented to the University Board for approval.
Candidates are asked to further discuss their top 5 most important publications or other academic achievements with the highest impact. Next to academic publications, the candidate is thus also able to show merit of knowledge transfer by academic dissemination, social valorisation, public awareness, seminars or conference presentations. These competences are also taken into account when evaluating the candidates.
The evaluation of the required international mobility is broad and partly takes the gender perspective into account, thus not only considering longer stays abroad by also other forms of internationalisation.
Pregnancy leave, prolonged sick leave, parental leave, filial leave or other forms of absence are taken into account when evaluating the available time for the realisation of academic output.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online through the e-recruitment system before the application deadline 22/10/2019 23:59. We do not accept late applications or applications that are not sent through the online system.
Your application must include the following documents:
- In the field ‘Cv’: the professorial staff application form (+ all annexes mentioned in the form), merged into one pdf file.
- In the field ‘Cover letter’: your application letter in pdf format
- In the field ‘Diploma’: a transcript of your doctoral degree. If you have a foreign diploma in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French or German) or English, please add a translation in one of the mentioned languages.
- In the field ‘Certificate of equivalence’: only for diplomas awarded outside the European Union: certificate of equivalence (NARIC) (if already in you possession)
- Two reference letters. These letters should be sent directly (separately) by the advisors to firstname.lastname@example.org. The email should clearly mention the candidate’s name as subject.
Note that the maximum file size for each field is 10 MB.
For further information regarding this vacancy, please contact Prof. Dr. Glenn Rayp (email@example.com, +32 9 264 34 95) at the Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Department of Economics.