The European Commission's Directorate for Sustainable Resources (Joint Research Center) is looking for 1 Economist to join its Unit "Economics of Agriculture" based in Seville, Spain.
As the science and knowledge service of the European Commission, the mission of DG Joint Research Centre (JRC) is to support EU policies with independent evidence throughout the whole policy cycle. The JRC is located in 5 Member States (Belgium, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands and Spain). Further information is available at: http://www.jrc.ec.europa.eu
The Unit "Economics of Agriculture" assesses, through macro and micro socio-economic analyses, the development of the Agro Food sector and related sectors including rural development, food supply chains, food security, trade and technological innovation in the EU and globally but also with special emphasis on Africa.
The Unit is looking for 1 experienced researcher to:
- contribute to the analysis of consumers' and firms' behaviour in the food supply chain;
- analyse EU food supply chains by means of econometric tools;
- initiate, manage and monitor research projects, including the preparation of project tenders;
- contribute to drafting scientific publications and policy reports;
- conduct economic analysis, including preparation and presentation of reports, summaries of results for policy briefings and academic papers;
- contribute to the cooperation with policy services and development of the international network of cooperation of JRC.
Candidates must hold a doctoral degree or having a minimum of 5 years research experience after the first university degree giving access to doctoral studies in a field relevant to the position.
She / He should have
- An advanced knowledge in econometrics.
- Specific knowledge of statistical packages (such as R or STATA)
- Knowledge and experience in supply chain economics, industrial economics, and/or consumer preferences and choice.
- A very good level of written and spoken English (level C1) is essential. Knowledge of more EU languages is indeed a supplementary asset.
36-month initial contract with possible renewals up to maximum 6 years.
Rules & Eligibility
The candidate must be on a valid EPSO reserve list for Function Group IV contract staff or have applied to the permanent open call for researchers FG IV:
Auxiliary contract staff: https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/en/working-with-us/jobs/temporary-positions/contract-staff-members
Note that due to the high number of applications usually received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Full details on the open call is available at:
Deadline: 31/08/2018 23:59 Brussels time.
Economic analysis of EU supply chain (1 position) 2018-SVQ-D4-FGIV-010335