Practitioner / consultant
Company DescriptionAt CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you willing to become a key player in high-power systems? Join CERN’s Electrical Power Converter Group (EPC) and leave your mark on the development and operation of the electrical systems for CERN's particle accelerators. Take part!
You will join the Accelerator Systems Department (SY), which is responsible for the beam-related technical systems of the CERN accelerators. The SY teams design, build and operate equipment systems in all CERN accelerators, and are engaged in ambitious forward-looking R&D programmes.
The Electrical Power Converter Group (EPC) in the Systems Department (SY) is responsible for the electrical power systems for the entire CERN accelerator complex.
You will join the High-Power Converter Section, responsible for the high-power systems in the range between 1 MW and 150 MW.
As an Electrical Engineer, you will be responsible for the design, specification, production, installation, commissioning of power transformers for large power electronics systems, as well as for their operation and maintenance. In this context, you will:
- Take part in the definition of long-term strategies for the renovation, replacement and maintenance of our large fleet of oil-filled and cast-resin transformers;
- Validate and optimise the system design of power transformers and their associated power electronics systems, using modelling tools such as MATLAB SIMULINK or equivalent;
- Draw up technical specifications for power transformers, follow-up the procurement, manufacturing and testing activities in the framework of industrial supply contracts;
- Specify the requirements and study the mechanical and electrical integration of new transformers on existing transformer pits;
- Be in charge of the installation, commissioning, operation and maintenance of power transformers;
- Supervise contractor’s activities working at CERN, for installation, maintenance and renovation of transformers;
- Propose and implement measures for environmental protection.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of electrical engineering or power electronics or a related field.
Required experience in the following:
- Design and modelling of power electronics in the power level above 100 kW;
- Engineering of high-voltage power systems above 1 kV;
- Initial experience in the management of projects, from the technical specification to the commissioning and final documentation.
Desired experience in the following:
- Design of power transformers or magnetic components;
- Installation, commissioning, operation or maintenance of electrical power equipment.
- Design and modelling of high-voltage electrical circuits and networks;
- Knowledge and application of power electronics techniques;
- Design and modelling of power electronic components and systems: , using MATLAB SIMULINK or equivalent;
- Operation and maintenance of power electronic components and systems;
- Construction, test and commissioning of power electronic components and systems.
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them; addressing complex problems by breaking them down into manageable components.
- Working in teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
- Communicating effectively: ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented.
- Spoken and written English: ability to understand and speak in professional contexts as well as the ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations.
- Basic knowledge of French language would be an asset or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 12 midday on 01.11.2022.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: SY-EPC-HPC-2022-114-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electrical Engineer