Why you should join us:
Co-op positions at Suncor are more than just a work term. They provide you with significant and meaningful work experiences to help enable you to figure out where you want your career to go – better yet, many of our co-op students go on to become permanent Suncor employees after they graduate! You will work side-by-side with some of the most talented people in the energy industry, and your work assignments and mentoring will offer you outstanding academic and career growth.
We will help you to develop your professional skills and establish relationships with internal partners. You will be a member of a team comprised of professional engineers, environmental specialists and other students. Your responsibility included planning and conducting field surveys, data control, logistics and support daily reclamation & environmental planning operations at Fort Hills.
You will use your expertise to:
- Participate in field surveys for ongoing environmental programs and collect samples including surface and groundwater, aquatic invertebrates, vegetation, fish, algae, etc.
- Be a self-starter and prepare samples for lab analysis and deal with the shipments
- Perform analysis and/or ID field samples as well as input field data into various software
- Co-ordinate field logistics such as accommodations, flights, and rentals, etc. for staff and contractors
- Support daily operations such as equipment maintenance, contractor support, safety reports etc.
We’d like to review your application if you have…
Must-haves (minimum requirements):
- Current enrollment in a formal co-op or internship program in 2nd, 3rd or 4th year Environmental Science at an accredited post-secondary institution, and returning to full-time studies after the work term
- (Attach your transcripts with your application and clearly indicate the length of work term for which you are available)
- A valid driver’s licence and a clean driving record
- Alignment with our values of: safety above all else, respect, raise the bar, commitments matter and do the right thing
- You to be capable of safely operating a truck on non-maintained roads (additional training will be provided for off-road vehicles). Prior field work and samples collection (water, soils, biological)
- Strong attention to detail and strong written and verbal communication skills
- Deep understanding of main challenges and issues with environmental protection/reclamation in Alberta Oil Sands
- Able to self-prioritize work and handle multiple tasks/request from a variety of people
- Familiar with Microsoft office applications (word, excel, PowerPoint)
- Experience with driving pick-up trucks and towing trailers
- Someone who enjoys the outdoors and field work, including handling fish and bugs, experience with boats and UTVs
- We value a self-starter with the ability to effectively work with minimal supervision to independently prioritize and handle workload; in particular, exercising independent discernment in planning, organizing, implementing and completing projects and initiatives
Where you’ll be working, your work schedule, and other meaningful information:
- You will work out of our camp-based Fort Hills mining site, located in Alberta’s Athabasca region, 90 kilometres north of Fort McMurray, Alberta
- This is an 8 – 12 month work term, from May 2019 – April 2020
- This is a camp-based position at the Fort Hills site
- The shift schedule is a seven days on/ seven days off rotation
- You will be required to perform tasks in environments both indoor and outdoor through an array of conditions
Start your career at Canada's leading integrated energy company with a business portfolio that includes oil sands development and upgrading, offshore oil and gas production, petroleum refining, and product marketing under the Petro-Canada brand. Our global presence offers rewarding opportunities for you to learn and grow in a variety of career-building positions. We live by the value of safety above all else – do it safely, or don’t do it. Our strong track record of growth and a focus on sustainability mean tremendous potential for the future. Learn about our mission, vision and values.