FBK-IRVAPP is a policy-relevant research institute based in Trento (Italy). Its scientific mission includes the evaluation of public policies as well as the dissemination of findings from this research, the promotion of a culture of impact evaluation and the training of policy evaluators. The institute is one of the top institutions for the research on public policies in Italy.
The methodological paradigm underlying empirical work at the institute is the counterfactual analysis of causality. Research activities focus on labour policies, education policies, industrial policies, welfare policies and social and economic programmes in developing countries and culture policies.
The institute invites applications from post-doc researchers to contribute to its institutional activity.
This is an excellent opportunity for candidates with a background in the social sciences (economics, political science, sociology, statistics or related disciplines) and an interest in the evaluation of public policies.
More information about IRVAPP is available at https://irvapp.fbk.eu/
The FBK-IRVAPP is looking for a candidate to carry out research activity for the evaluation of innovation policies.
The candidate is expected to:
- Assume duties and responsibilities appropriate to the appointment as may be assigned to him/her by the Governing bodies of the Institute or, as appropriate, by their Deputy acting on their behalf;
- Work closely with the Director, the Research Director and other senior researchers in specific projects;
- Prepare reports as well as journal and conference papers on the research work done;
- Present results at scientific meetings and conferences;
- Contribute to the preparation of bids for additional competitive national and international research funding awards;
- Any other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Director.
The ideal candidate should have:
- PhD in a Social Science field (Economics, Political Science, Sociology, Statistics or related disciplines);
- Interest in public policy evaluation in the field of innovation;
- Experience in empirical analysis of innovation systems (also in relation to research, higher education, and industry), with particular reference to microdata;
- Relevant publication activity in the fields of the call;
- Strong understanding of the general methodological issues related to policy impact evaluation;
- Documented experience of using quantitative research methods;
- Strong knowledge of statistical modeling and techniques for the evaluation of public policies;
- Strong working knowledge of Stata and, possibly, R.;
- Oral and written proficiency in English and Italian. If not proficient in Italian, commitment to acquire it on the job.
- Good programming skills;
- Experience of organizing academic workshops or similar events;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and willingness to work effectively in team, as well as independently;
- Commitment to rigorous scientific research;
- Documented international research experience;
- Excellent time management, planning and organizational skills (possibly documented in terms of specific activities/positions covered).
Type of contract: fixed term contract
Work time: full time
Gross annual salary: about € 39.300,00
Start date: preferably from January/February 2019
Duration: 3 years
Work Place: Trento (Italy).
Benefits: flexi-time, company subsidized cafeteria or meal vouchers, welcome office support, accommodation support, reductions on bank accounts, internal car park, town public transportation, fees for language courses, sport opportunities. . More info at https://www.welfarefbk.info/.
Candidates are requested to submit their application by clicking on "Apply Online" at the bottom of this page. Please make sure that your application includes the following attachments (pdf. format):
- full CV (including statement of research interest and the name of two referees);
- list of publications;
- letter of motivation regarding the field of interest.
Application deadline: 12th of November 2018
Please read our Regulations on the recruitment and selection of fixed-term personnel (effective from October 15, 2018) before completing your application.
For further information or technical issues regarding the application, please contact the Human Resources Service at email@example.com
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview ten days before the date of the interview. They are expected to send a selected chapter of their Ph.D. thesis, or a published article or a working paper, to the selection committee (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Non selected applicants will be notified of their exclusion at the end of the selection process.
Please note that FBK may contact the candidates of the suitability list within a period of 12 months, for the selection processes of similar vacancies.
For reasons of professional transparency, the name of the successful candidate will be published on the FBK website following acceptance of the position, as well the list of suitable candidates.
Researcher / analyst
Via Santa Croce 77
Trento , Italy