Executive / senior industry position
Job Posting: 13/Feb/2020
Closure Date: 05/Mar/2020, 10:59:00 PM
Job Type: Staff position
Primary Location: Chile-Santiago
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
The length of appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to the extension of appointments.
• People with disabilities are protected from any type of discrimination during any stage of employment, including the recruitment phase
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization.
The Finance Division recommends and administers financial policies and procedures that meet the highest professional standards; keeps accounts that accurately record financial activities and meet the requirements of internal and external audits; prepares reports to accurately portray the financial status of the Organization and its activities; ensures that the Organization's financial resources are securely kept and productively employed while in FAO's custody; oversees financial operations wherever performed in the Organization; and ensures that all disbursements are timely and made in accordance with established policies and procedures.
This post, while part of the headquarters-based Finance Division (CSF) will be based in the Regional Office for Latin America and the Caribbean, Santiago, Chile. The function contributes to capacity building and provides operational and financial risk mitigation support to Decentralized Offices.
The Finance Officer reports to the Senior Finance Officer, leading the Global Financial Management Group.
Collection and analysis of financial information to support the delivery of various financial services/activities.
Financial services and related assistance in accordance with internal policies, UN financial guidelines and International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS).
• Provides financial reporting, general accounting, project accounting, and/or investment related services in accordance with FAO policies and regulatory framework.
• Collects and analyses financial information for inclusion in statutory and/or management reports, financial statements, and/or reports to donors as well as specific reports for Governing Bodies, donors and other partners.
• Contributes to updating financial policies and related tools, systems, technologies and related procedures.
• Responds to requests for assistance from managers and staff at headquarters and the Decentralized Offices.
• Exchanges and/or provides information to banks, other financial institutions, donors and partners and provides information/clarification to auditors.
• Participates in the development of training and related training materials and promotes best practices and capacity development at headquarters and the Decentralized Offices.
• Participates in Finance Division teams, leads working groups, and/or collaborates with other departments on short-term assignments.
• Monitors adherence to financial policies in Decentralized Offices, highlighting any risks and suggesting mitigating factors to local teams as well as senior management;
• Provides functional support and training to Decentralized Offices in the region on best financial practices and usage of ERP system, Oracle;
• Prepares analysis of financial practices in Decentralized Offices for senior management;
• Recommends improvements to ERP systems to better support operational requirements in Decentralized Offices;
• Provides support to upgrades of financial modules of ERP systems;
• Supports daily financial operations of Regional Offices as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in accounting, finance, business administration or a related field.
• Five years relevant experience in finance and/or accounting.
• Working knowledge of Spanish and limited knowledge of English.
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationship
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable;
• Knowledge of Oracle Financials is considered a strong asset;
• Extent and relevance of experience in accounting and in managing financial functions;
• Demonstrated knowledge of IPSAS or equivalent internationally accepted accounting standards;
• Working knowledge of English is highly desirable
FAO staff are expected to adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.
• FAO reserves the right not to make an appointment, to make an appointment at a lower grade, or to make an appointment with a modified job description.
Other benefits, subject to eligibility, include:
• Dependency allowances
• Rental subsidy
• Education grant for children
• Home leave travel
• 30 working days of annual leave per year
• Pension fund entitlements under the UN Joint Staff Pension Fund
• International health insurance; optional life insurance
• Disability protection
• elements of family-friendly policies
• flexible working arrangements
• standards of conduct.
- To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. We strongly recommend that your profile is accurate, complete and includes your employment records, academic qualifications and language skills.
- Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile;
- Once your profile is completed, please apply and submit your application;
- Your application will be screened based on the information provided on your online profile;
- Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list;
- Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments and authorization to conduct verification checks of past and present work, character, education, military and police records to ascertain any and all information which may be pertinent to the employment qualifications;
- Incomplete applications will not be considered;
- Only applications received through the FAO recruitment portal will be considered;
- We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
If you need help, or have queries, please contact: Careers@fao.org
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT