Job Posting: 23/Apr/2020
Closure Date: 14/May/2020, 9:59:00 PM
Job Type: Staff position
Primary Location: Italy-Rome
Staff in the General Service category are recruited locally from the Primary Location area, which is where the office is located
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
People with disabilities are protected from any type of discrimination during any stage of employment, including the recruitment phase
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
This vacancy announcement is for multiple positions in the following divisions/departments at FAO Headquarters:
two positions in the Office of the Assistant Director-General (CBD) and the Climate and Environment Division (CBC) respectively, within the Climate, Biodiversity, Land and Water Department (CB)
five positions in the Agricultural Development Economics Division (ESA), Office of the Assistant Director-General (ESD), Social Policies and Rural Institutions Division (ESP) and Trade and Markets Division (EST) respectively, within the Economic and Social Development Department (ES)
one position in the Fisheries and Aquaculture Policy and Resources Division (FIA), within the Fisheries and Aquaculture Department (FI)
three positions in the Emergency and Resilience Division (PSE) and Business Development and Resource Mobilization Division (PSR) respectively, within the Programme Support and Technical Cooperation Department (PS).
The Office Assistant performs a variety of routine administrative transactions and office support functions contributing to the smooth and efficient running of the work unit.
The Office Assistant reports to one or more Professional staff and receives guidance from a higher graded Office Assistant/ Executive Associate. He/she acts independently in routine matters and consults with Supervisor(s) on new and/or more complex issues and procedures. Supervision received provides for technical and procedural guidance and on-the-job learning.
The Office Assistant interacts with a variety of colleagues from within the work unit. Interactions relate to the exchange of routine information and the provision of standard office support services.
Type, format and draft routine correspondence; collate tables, reports, presentations, publications, and other documentation
Receive, screen and direct telephone calls and visitors; respond to routine internal and external enquiries and/or refer to appropriate contacts /units
Enter, retrieve, structure and update selected information and data from various sources (e.g. Intra-/Internet, office files, etc.); present results in standard format
Set up and maintain office files and reference systems according to standard procedures
Initiate, view and track a variety of administrative transactions in the computerized financial / travel / human resources systems
Support the organization and administration of meetings, workshops and events (e.g. arranging for meeting rooms and other facilities
Assist with arranging for travels: organize transport, logistics, accommodation, documents
Ensure availability of office supplies and appropriate maintenance of office equipment
- Perform other duties as required.
The Office Assistant participates as part of a team in the provision of administrative and office support services. Actions reflect on the immediate and wider work unit.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
Experience: Two years of relevant experience in office support work
Languages: Working knowledge (Level C) of English and limited knowledge (Level B) of one of the other FAO languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish)
IT Skills: Knowledge of the MS Office applications, Internet and office technology equipment
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Knowledge of the communication and documentation standards
Knowledge of corporate computerized financial / travel / human resources systems and administrative procedures and policies
- Knowledge of the organizational structure
Desirable Qualifications and Skills
- For position 2007604 in ESA: Working knowledge (Level C) of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish)
- For position 0099716 in ESD: Working knowledge (Level C) of Spanish; Experience with Travel authorization and Travel Expense claims
- For position 0106518 in ESP: Working knowledge (Level C) of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish)
- For position 0097403 in ESP: Working knowledge (Level C) of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish)
- For position 2007895 in EST: Working knowledge (Level C) of Spanish and/or French; Experience in providing office assistance to a project implemented by FAO; Experience in working with eRPs systems: Oracle, FPMIS, Taleo and IT Service Desk
- For position 2002193 in FIA: Working knowledge (Level C) of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish); Knowledge of organizational planning and reporting procedures especially regarding the Strategic Programmes; Experience in organizing meetings, within and outside FAO, and associated tasks; Experience with FAO House Style and publication procedures
- For position 2007791 in PSE: Working knowledge (Level C) of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish); Availability to undertake missions to, but not limited to, scale-up countries
- For position 2007860 in PSE: Availability to undertake missions to, but not limited to, scale-up countries
- For position 1054910 in PSR: Working knowledge (Level C) of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish); Experience in drafting of routine correspondence.
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise and a technical / competency-based interview.
FAO staff are expected to adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO,
Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency
• FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing)
• Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list
• The length of the appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to extension of appointments
• Selected candidates need to reside within commuting distance from the FAO office. "Commuting distance" means the distance within which staff members can travel daily between their place of work and their residence.
• No international benefits will be payable as selected candidates are recruited locally and paid in the local currency of the office location
• Other similar positions may be filled from this vacancy notice
• For additional information visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, click on the following link:
HOW TO APPLY
• To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. Once completed, please apply and submit your application, with language certificates as attachments. Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications. External Applicants unable to provide the above-mentioned certificates will be evaluated through online assessments. FAO reserves the right to request candidates to undertake a language test in the future, as appropriate
• Incomplete applications will not be considered
• Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered
• If you need assistance please contact: Careers@fao.org
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT