The Copenhagen Centre for Social Data Science, Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Copenhagen (UCPH) seeks excellent candidates for a professorship in Data Science. The position is a permanent, full-time position and is available from 1 January 2022 or as soon as possible thereafter.
What do we offer at SODAS?
SODAS is a creative, world-class research and teaching Centre at the intersection of data science and the social sciences at the Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Copenhagen. SODAS leverages advances in data science and in the collection of digital and/or big data and new data forms to develop new ways of doing social science. We involve international faculty and students from data science, anthropology, economics, political science, psychology and sociology. Our students are highly dedicated and competition is fierce to enter the Faculty’s new M.Sc. in Social Data Science (a two-year M.Sc. programme dedicated to social data science). For more, see https://sodas.ku.dk/.
Duties and responsibilities
We are looking for an applicant with a strong and visionary research profile, enthusiastic about taking a leading role in an interdisciplinary center for social data science. The ideal candidate has a background in data science and a track record of applying data science methods to questions or topics in the social sciences.
Duties and responsibilities of the professorial position include contributing to the scholarship and intellectual life of the University by conducting world-class research and teaching. A Professor also has administrative responsibilities and is expected to develop the field in synergy with other fields as well as to exercise academic leadership.
Criteria and opportunities
Outstanding applicants across all fields of data science will be considered (e.g. text as data / natural language processing, machine learning, or computational statistics). Qualifications are expected within the following areas:
- A world-class track record of high-quality research as evidenced by publications in internationally leading journals and conferences.
- Preferably, a track record of scholarship in or of clear relevance to social science
- Drive, energy and vision and leadership skills to build and lead interdisciplinary research projects and shape SODAS.
- Success in obtaining research grants from public and/or private funding bodies
- Strong interpersonal skills as well as an aptitude for working collaboratively with colleagues in planning and delivering teaching, in research projects and in the discharge of administrative duties.
- A commitment to student learning, supporting student welfare and enhancing the student experience. Capacity and willingness to help teaching in and further developing the new M.Sc. program in social data science
To be assessed qualified for a Professor position at the University of Copenhagen, the candidate must meet the University’s six criteria of academic merit. The six criteria (research, teaching, societal impact, organisational contribution, external funding and leadership) are considered a framework for the overall assessment of candidates (and partly overlap with the qualifications listed in bullets above).
You can read more about the criteria for recognising merit for professors here: https://jobportal.ku.dk/videnskabelige-stillinger/kriterier-for-videnskabelige-stillinger/dokumenter-til-meritering/5c_Criteria_for_recognising_merit_-professors.pdf
Why come to Copenhagen?
At SODAS you will be part of a vibrant, international and ambitious research community working across disciplines in a beautiful old campus right in the heart of wonderful Copenhagen.
- The city is continuously ranked among the top-5 livable cities on earth with clean air, beautiful architecture, a rich cultural life and dedication to work-life balance and “hygge”.
- Denmark has generous parental leave and Copenhagen offers great child care facilities, international schools and is a very family friendly city.
- The greater Copenhagen area has become an incredible data science hub with many potential collaborations within and across universities
Strategy of the Faculty of the Social Sciences
SODAS is part of the Faculty of the Social Sciences. The Faculty is a successful academic community that strives to put knowledge into action by:
- Engaging partners in the co-creation of knowledge, learning and social change.
- Empowering our students to become reflective and responsible citizens who have the vision, the knowledge and the competences to change society for the better.
- Energising global, European and Danish communities of knowledge by innovating research methodologies and by research findings with impact
For more on the Faculty strategy, see: https://samf.ku.dk/fakultetet/strategi/.
Terms of employment
- Employment with the Faculty of Social Sciences and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit. We do this by applying academic criteria of the University of Copenhagen which are related to the duties and conditions of each particular post and the needs of the Department concerned.
- The position is permanent, and therefore we strongly encourage the appointed professor to acquire the proficiency in Danish required to teach and interact with colleagues in that language in 2-4 years. The Department will provide and pay for the necessary language training
- Further information on qualification requirements as professor can be found in the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff at Danish Universities 2019 here: Here
- Terms of appointment and salary is in accordance with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations (Akademikerne).
- The salary is DKK 53,000 per month + a 17.1 % contribution to the pension scheme. It is possible to negotiate salary supplements on an annual basis.