The CEMFI PhD Program prepares students for successful careers in universities and academic centers as well as in central banks and public and private sector institutions. Our graduates have demonstrated to have the knowledge and skills necessary to undertake a successful career. They have published their work in some of the most prestigious and influential journals in Economics, including the American Economic Review, Econometrica and the Review of Economic Studies, and they have found jobs in leading academic and professional institutions. Recent placements include MIT Sloan, London School of Economics, University of Southern California, Bank of Italy, and Bank of Spain.
Our students enjoy a stimulating academic environment with accessible and supportive faculty. The program comprises two stages: stage one, coursework; and stage two, research. The coursework stage provides students with state of the art tools to successfully conduct research in an ample range of areas in Economics. The research stage fosters an international academic environment in which students grow to develop an independent and productive career. The typical duration of studies is five to six years. Students who successfully complete the two stages are awarded the degrees Master in Economics and Finance and PhD in Economics and Government. The official degrees are awarded by the Universidad Internacional Menéndez Pelayo.
The quality of our Graduate Program has been recognized with the recent award of the María de Maeztu Excellence Distinction. This highly selective distinction is awarded by Spain’s National Research Agency to “fund and accredit public research centers and units in any scientific area that demonstrate international scientific impact and leadership”.
- Official degrees: Students who successfully complete the two stages of the program will be awarded the degrees:
- Master in Economics and Finance (after successfully completing the first two years) official degree, Universidad Internacional Menéndez Pelayo ,120 ECTS
- PhD in Economics and Government (after successfully defending the PhD dissertation) official degree, Universidad Internacional Menéndez Pelayo
- Length of Studies: 5 years
- Dedication: Full-time
- Language: English
- Approximate class size: 10-12 students
- Funding: Academic-based scholarships and tuition waivers
- Other Funding: Students enrolled in the program can also apply for research funds, financial support for conference participation, and financial support for academic visits
- Application Deadline: 15 November 2017 – 12 April 2018 (or when the program reaches capacity, whichever occurs first)
- Funding Deadline: 15 February 2018
For detailed information about the CEMFI PhD Program as well as specific information about the application process, please visit our website.
PhD in Economics and Government
The CEMFI Graduate Program offers scholarships and tuition waivers on an academic-merit basis to students of all nationalities
Casado del Alisal 5
Madrid , Spain