Nova SBE is offering the PhD Summer School: Sovereign Debt Crises and Computational Methods to students and professionals who wish to advance their curriculum and knowledge. The 2021 edition will be held online and includes one coursework and a conference on the last day. The course is credit-bearing (ECTS), and it will be conducted in English.
- Dates: 5th July-9th July.
- Instructor: Pablo A. Guerron-Quintana, Professor at Boston College.
- ECTS: 3.5
- Tuition fee: The tuition fee is waived, students accepted to the course will only need to pay a small administration fee of 60 EUR (early bird for application received between May 1 to May 21), 80 EUR (regular fee for application received between May 22 to June 18).
- Application Link: here.
- More information on our website: www2.novasbe.unl.pt.
This course gives an introduction to the methods used to solve sovereign default models and explores the most recent contributions in that the sovereign default risk literature. Classes take place from Monday to Thursday, each day with three lectures of 50 minutes each.
The first part of the course introduces the students to the quantitative tools needed to analyze sovereign default models. Topics include, but not limited: value function iteration, projection methods, generalized impulse response functions, and filtering.
In the second half, the student will get exposed to the different types of sovereign default models used in the literature. Then we will study selected topics such as the interaction between default risk and 1) banking; 2) firm heterogeneity; and 3) migration.
- Day 1: Introduction to numerical methods: integration and optimization. Value function iteration.
- Day 2: Continuation value function iteration. Empirical facts in sovereign default.
- Day 3: First and second generation quantitative sovereign default models.
- Day 4: Third generation quantitative default models and current topics.
Grade will be based on class participation and referee reports on some of the papers to be discussed in class.
To encourage knowledge dissemination and networking, on the last day of the Summer School (Friday, July 9, 2021) we will host a virtual conference. Students who are admitted to the summer school will be able to join the conference free of charge and interact online with top researchers in the field.
The conference includes two papers presentation sessions, one round table session, and a session dedicated to the academic job market. The conference is schedule from 2pm to 7.30pm and include breaks and intervals.
You can view the speakers and detailed program on our website.
The course is open to PhD students (local and international), postgraduate and professionals who wish to widen their knowledge on Sovereign Debt Crises and Computational Methods.
We have a limited number of seats available to participate in the summer school. We recommend submitting your application by the deadlines.
The tuition fee is waived, students accepted to the course will only need to pay a small administration fee:
- Early Bird application: May 1 to May 21 - administration fee for accepted candidates: 60 EUR
- Regular application: May 22 to June 18 - administration fee for accepted candidates: 80 EUR
Nova SBE will notify applicants with a decision at the latest after two weeks of each deadline. Candidates will be notified via email on the address you gave on the application form. Students who are accepted will receive an invoice to pay the administration fee.
Please note that incomplete applications will not be processed.
Application Link: here.