About the Faculty
Degree Programs at the Faculty of Business, Economics and Social Sciences
The Faculty of Business, Economics and Social Sciences conducts teaching in three departments (Socioeconomics, Economics and Social Sciences) in the subjects
- Business Administration
- Criminological Social Research
- Economics at the department of Socioeconomics
- Journalism and Communication Studies
- Law Section at the department of Socioeconomics
- Political Science
- Sociology at the department of Social Sciences
- Sociology at the department of Socioeconomics
Our work is characterized by an interdisciplinary approach to socially relevant current affairs.
The researchers of the Faculty of Business, Economics and Social Sciences participate in core research areas and emerging fields. In addition, some of them are currently working in six profile initiatives. Profile initiatives distinguish themselves by cross-faculty research on subjects, which could become emerging fields through the attraction of third-party funded projects in the coming years.
Important research areas in the Faculty of Business, Economics and Social Sciences are e.g.:
- social and economic climate research
- aspects of sustainability (social, economic, and reflexive dimensions), e.g. Humanities Centre for Advanced Studies "Futures of Sustainability"
- Health economics (in the inter-faculty Hamburg Center for Health Economics (HCHE)
Research in these areas is also conducted by our scientists in the
- Cluster of Excellence CLICCS,
- Center for a Sustainable University (KNU),
- and by active teams of researchers in the areas of public management and collective decisions.
Interdisciplinary, research oriented master’s degree programs
These interdisciplinary, research oriented master’s degree programs ensure a link between research and teaching:
- Politics, Economics and Philosophy (MSc),
- Health Economics and Health Care Management (MSc) (in German only),
- International Business and Sustainability (MA),
- Interdisciplinary Public and Nonprofit Studies (MSc) (in German only)
See the departments’ websites for further research research areas.
The Faculty of Business, Economics and Social Sciences combines high-profile research with an open approach to new educational pathways: With its BA in Socioeconomics, the Department of Socioeconomics offers an interdisciplinary program in economics and social sciences that provides students that have a professional qualification but no German secondary school leaving certificate (Abitur) or hold a university of applied sciences entrance qualification, with the opportunity to obtain a university qualification.
The Faculty of Business, Economics and Social Sciences is divided into three departments:
Approximately 80 professorships are assigned across the departments.
The Graduate School provides support for early career researchers in the Faculty. By coordinating the process for doctoral candidates within the Faculty’s established structured doctoral degree programs, it provides doctoral students not only with a systematic education, but also creates close links between the Faculty disciplines and interdisciplinary research. The Graduate School thus provides optimal support for early career researchers.
The Faculty also has a number of services to assist Faculty members in their studies, teaching, and research.
Researchers and students involved in basic research have access to the Research Laboratory, which is fitted with modern equipment for conducting a range of experiments and surveys.
The eLearning office provides information, advice, and support for teachers in the Faculties of Business, Economics and Social Sciences and Business Administration on integrating digital media into their teaching.
Our Faculty also works with the German Institute of Global and Area Studies (GIGA) via joint appointments and close collaboration in research and early career researcher support. GIGA is an independent research institute based in Hamburg and a member of the Leibniz Association. Its members study the politics, economies, and societies of Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East, as well as global issues.
Find out more about us:
- New students can get more information at the annual open days or individual advice at our academic offices.
- For interested members of the public, our researchers offer a glimpse into their research, for example, as part of the General Lecture Series.
If you would like to meet us in person, drop into the Faculty building at the center of the Universität Hamburg campus. We have additional buildings in Welckerstrasse, Max-Brauer-Allee, Rentzelstrasse, the Esplanade, and Sedanstrasse.
University of Hamburg
- Cluster of Excellence 'CliCCS'
- Institute of Law and Economics (IRÖ), University of Hamburg
- University of Hamburg, Institute for Mediaeconomics
- University of Hamburg, Cluster of Excellence CliSAP: Integrated Climate System Analysis and Prediction
- Department of Economics, Hamburg University
- Law Faculty, University of Hamburg
- Chair of Marketing and Innovation, University of Hamburg
- University of Hamburg, Institute for Operations Research
- University of Hamburg - Faculty of Business, Economics and Social Sciences
- Faculty of Business, Economics and Social Sciences, Universität Hamburg
+49 40 42838-4918