Job title: Associate Professor of Spatial Economics
VU unit: School of Business and Economics, Department of Spatial Economics
Vacancy number: 17291
Date of publication: 12 October 2017
Closing date: 9 November 2017
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is a leading, innovative and growing university that is at the heart of society and actively contributes to new developments in teaching and research. Our university has ten faculties which span a wide range of disciplines, as well as several institutes, foundations, research centres, and support services. Its campus is located in the fastest-growing economic region in the Netherlands (the Zuidas district of Amsterdam), and provides work for over 4,500 staff and scientific education for more than 23,000 students.
The School of Business and Economics (SBE) aims to combine high quality education with excellent research. The School offers four Bachelor’s programmes (Economics and Business Economics, Econometrics and Operations Research, Business Administration and International Business Administration), seven Master’s programmes among which the MSc in Spatial, Transport and Environmental Economics (STREEM), two research masters among which the Tinbergen Institute’s MPhil programme, and seventeen postgraduate programmes. The school has several research groups with an outstanding international reputation. SBE accommodates approximately 4,300 students and 1,700 postgraduate students. Over 500 staff members are employed at the School.
The Department of Spatial Economics hosts a large community of regional, urban, transport and environmental economists. These are often active within combinations of sub-fields, such as urban and transport economics, urban and regional economics, etc. The group currently consists of 11 Full Professors (5 of whom full-time), 13 Associate and Assistant Professors, and around 40 postdocs, PhD students, and other researchers. The department is active in various teaching programmes at the Bachelor and Master level. The department has a strong research tradition, manifested in strong publication records of its members as well as in success in acquiring external funding for research. The Associate is expected to make strong contributions to the Department’s teaching and research activities.
- Initiate and perform high-quality research in urban and regional economics, or related areas in the context of the research programme of the department;
- Active involvement in ongoing research projects and in acquiring new research grants;
- Teach and coordinate bachelor and/or master courses offered by the department;
- Supervision of bachelor and master theses;
- Contribution to the management of the department / School committees;
- To have or obtain a university teaching qualification.
We seek candidates with a strong research interest and record in spatial economics, excellent teaching abilities, advanced methodological skills, and a clear motivation to contribute to the department’s societal valorization strategy. The candidate should have:
- A PhD in economics or a closely related field;
- Excellent track record in academic teaching;
- Experience in teaching- and curriculum development;
- Proven research experience resulting in international scientific publications, which should make the candidate (nearly) qualify as a Tinbergen Institute research fellow (http://www.tinbergen.nl/research-groups-researchers/tinbergen-fellow-requirements/);
- The ability to initiate and lead a body of research. Examples of this include successful track record advising PhD students and success in obtaining external funding.
The salary will be in accordance with university regulations for academic personnel, and depending on experience, range from a minimum of € 4.815,- up to a maximum of € 5.861,- (salary scale 13) for an Associate Professor, based on full-time employment. In addition to this, we offer holiday allowance, end-of-year allowance, and other benefits For international candidates favourable tax benefits may apply. You can find information about our excellent fringe benefits of employment at www.workingatvu.nl.
Please see the following links for more information.
Other specific information can be obtained from:
Prof. Dr. E.T. Verhoef, e-mail: email@example.com, phone +31 20 5986094.
We start inviting candidates from the application deadline onwards and the search will continue until the position has been filled with a high-quality candidate.
Applications should be received by November 9th, 2017. Applicants should send a letter with their motivation, two recommendation letters and CV detailing your publications and teaching experiences to M. Maletic, Managing Director of the School of Business and Economics, by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please mention the vacancy number and position in the e-mail header.
Any other correspondence in response to this advertisement will not be dealt with.
Faculty / asst. prof. / lecturer
De Boelelaan 1105
Amsterdam , Netherlands